Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Harpsichord multisample - stop 1, stop 2, lute stop, and combinations

MetamereMetamere United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 20

I put together a multisample set for the Deluge from a harpsichord sampling project that was posted online here. I had to do a bit of batch editing of the filenames and of the tags using EndlessWAV, but it ended up working well.
EDIT:
Since the Deluge can't trigger a sound on the release of a key, they end up sounding a bit unnatural unless the notes play the maximum duration. I set up various combinations of the three stops they provided by assigning one sample to OSC1 and the other to OSC2. For the lute combinations I reduced the level of the other sounds to make the lute sound stand out more. In order to get this working, you will need to place the synths in the SYNTH folder, and place the Multisamples folder (which contains the three multisample sets) in the SAMPLES folder. I also included a copy of the license stipulations and information on the sample origins in the folders. Please look it over and follow their reasonable requests.

Here is a link to a 94 MB .7z archive, and a 134 MB .zip archive if you aren't able to extract a 7zip archive (it may not work properly on the Deluge when using the default Mac archive tool.

They load fairly quickly, although they don't cover the entirety of a modern piano keyboard. They cover 58 notes, from G1 to E6 (roughly 5.5 octaves), which is a very usable range, and are tuned to a modern 440 instead of the traditional 415. They are really fun to play with a midi keyboard, and I've already used them in a couple of songs. Enjoy.

Second Edit:
I found an issue with the original sample naming and numbering scheme. I didn't notice the discrepancy until I used them with a full 88 key keyboard synth as a controller where I had the sounds coming from both the synth and the Deluge, and the notes didn't match up. I had to shift the notes a half step to have them match the true note names and also shifted things an octave in order to match up exactly with the modern piano keyboard. I updated the linked archives with the changes.

(here are the original questions related to the thread below, which have been addressed)
I noticed that their sample collection has separate samples for the attack and for the release of each key. I see that there's a way to account for that in software synths like Kontakt, but is there a way to handle that in the Deluge or in other hardware synths? I couldn't find any reference to that. It sounds fine as is with the mode set to "once" (simulating sustain on), but in other modes it doesn't sound quite right when the note stops so abruptly when the key is released. It just doesn't sound like a real harpsichord. Also, to make it sound more realistic when using a midi keyboard, it would be best to be able to set the velocity to max by default. Is there a way to do that? Thanks in advance.

Third Edit:
I finally figured out how to modify the velocity sensitivity, so I updated the files. I didn't remove it entirely, but set them in the 20-30 range based on what sounded good for each one.

Post edited by Metamere on

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Provided you have the latest firmware installed, you can set the default velocity in the settings menu.
    DEFAult -> VELOcity

No way to trigger samples upon release for now, and I haven't found a way to do it with extra midi fancyness either. I'm trying to make something happen with Midiflow (ios app)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

edited July 2020

That's good to know, thanks. Although it seems that only affects the Deluge's pads, and a midi keyboard will still play them with varying velocity. Can I add a velocity tag to the sample name to force it to always play with a constant velocity?

Okay, instead of playing a second sample upon release, is there a way to play two different samples when a pad or key is pressed? Like if I wanted to play two different stops on a harpsichord simultaneously? Or do I need to merge them into one sample on my PC in advance?

@Metamere said:
    That's good to know, thanks. Although it seems that only affects the Deluge's pads, and a midi keyboard will still play them with varying velocity. Can I add a velocity tag to the sample name to force it to always play with a constant velocity?

Okay, instead of playing a second sample upon release, is there a way to play two different samples when a pad or key is pressed? Like if I wanted to play two different stops on a harpsichord simultaneously? Or do I need to merge them into one sample on my PC in advance?

To turn off a preset's velocity sensitivity, enter the Volume parameter (Master volume) of the clip in question, then enter the Velocity mod source that will be blinking to indicate the volume is patched to the velocity mod source.
    Turn the depth to 0.

You can use OSC2 browse (to load separate sampleset to OSC2) :)

Okay cool, thanks. So it sounds like the velocity insensitivity is only set in the clip, not the synth preset? I couldn't quite get that working, but I'll figure it out eventually. I also couldn't figure out how to load the samples into OSC2 in the Deluge, but I was able to get them loaded by copying and pasting in the XML files. I'll figure out how to work that in the Deluge eventually too I guess. At least I know it can be done. The combined samples sound amazing, by the way. I made various combinations of the three stops. Once I get permission from the guy who created the samples I'll post them here.

@Metamere said:
    Okay cool, thanks. So it sounds like the velocity insensitivity is only set in the clip, not the synth preset? I couldn't quite get that working, but I'll figure it out eventually. I also couldn't figure out how to load the samples into OSC2 in the Deluge, but I was able to get them loaded by copying and pasting in the XML files. I'll figure out how to work that in the Deluge eventually too I guess. At least I know it can be done. The combined samples sound amazing, by the way. I made various combinations of the three stops. Once I get permission from the guy who created the samples I'll post them here.

The preset IS the clip, same thing. In the clip view of the preset, i.e. where the preset's sound parameters can be accessed, enter the mentioned Volume level parameter either via the grid shortcuts or the sound editor menu, in order to turn off the velocity>volume patching.

Same with OSC2 loading - simplest is to use the OSC2 Browse shortcut (2nd column, third pad from the top).

Hope you get to share it :)

Hey @Icoustik, thanks for all the help with this. It looks like the original creators probably aren't going to get back to me, so I'll assume it's all good since this is all otherwise following their terms. Would you please try downloading and giving the samples a test and let me know what you think? If it works for you and you think the quality is good enough then I'll edit the title and add the link to the first comment.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/14z5Pqhzyj2eFqs29897OUUmsquFscmZ-/view?usp=sharing

n_Bn_B United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 5

I was able to unarchive the file without trouble, but the format of the WAV files seems off. Deluge states "UnSu" and Audacity does not recognize the filetype. The XML files look great, though! Thank you for sharing your effort!

edited August 2020

Hey @n_B, thanks for testing it out. The files are supported since they work on my Deluge. Did you keep them in the Multisamples subfolder like I had set up? Hmm, you probably would've done that since that's how you had the TAL samples set up. Or could it be that you have an older firmware or something?

Hi @Metamere! I think it's actually the WAVs. I am unable to play them with anything after unarchiving the .7z file and they appear to be binaries.

Here's the result of file -I

Petit-Italien-Luth-009--G#0.wav: application/octet-stream; charset=binary

This is what a normal WAV looks like:

BD2_Clean_Bobeats.wav: audio/x-wav; charset=binary

edited August 2020

Hey @n_B, thanks for the info. I can't seem to identify things in the way you did. I tried extracting the archive and they appear to be the same as before they were compressed. I wonder if it has to do with how you extracted the archive? If you aren't on Windows and used a different program maybe there was an issue. Here is a link to a .zip version of the archive, as well as a link to one of the .WAV files, uncompressed. Would you please check them and see if they have the same issue as before? Thanks.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17WhChBlCh_KErF7TTkX7jSYCABaRKGpE/view?usp=sharing
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V2xUeIgu9CdzzF1WieeV0b1STwcAWlpU/view?usp=sharing

That was a success! It must be something related to the built in Archive tool on MacOS. I can confirm that the samples now play on the Deluge and sound beautiful. Thank you!

Hey @n_B, I'm glad it worked and you like it. You're very welcome. Thanks for testing it out. Sorry I didn't realize you were a different person than the other who was helping me earlier.

I found an issue with the original sample naming and numbering scheme. I didn't notice the discrepancy until I used them with a full 88 key keyboard synth as a controller where I had the sounds coming from both the synth and the Deluge, and the notes didn't match up. I had to shift the notes a half step to have them match the true note names and also shifted things an octave in order to match up exactly with the modern piano keyboard. I updated the linked archives with the changes.

VoddoBassVoddoBass SwedenPosts: 30

Thank you so so so so much!

@VoddoBass said:
    Thank you so so so so much!

You're very welcome VoddoBass. I'm glad it's been of use to people. It's still one of my most used sounds on it.

JoangeJoange EspañaPosts: 52
    edited September 2021

thank you for this amazing upload! it does sound great :blush:
    it seems that loading these presets slows my Deluge (once loaded, there's a 1-second gap between the push of a button or a pad and the Del responding). Is it just me, or has anybody found the same issue?
    EDIT: This is happening now with other multisampled instruments, so I have anything to do with these samples in particular. Does somebody knows if this is usual?

Post edited by Joange on

Hey @Joange, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues. I've had some instances where the Deluge starts dropping voices and maybe getting a bit laggy when I'm trying to use too many simultaneous multisample sounds, but I don't think it was quite as laggy as you're describing. I've recently tested the limits of it a bit, and it seems like it can play maybe sixteen samples simultaneously before it has issues, but that's just an estimate. Since with these sounds I set it to play Once, instead of Cut, each note plays for a long time. That meands it's not too hard to reach the limits, especially with the combined sounds, where I have a different multisample on each of the two oscillators. So that's kind of a worst case scenario, where it might not work to have them for more complex songs or for fast playing over a lot of different notes. If you're having major issues with all of your multisamples, even simpler ones, then it might be an issue with your SD card.

WiegrafWiegraf Beta Tester Posts: 9

Just wanted to say thanks so much for these! I desperately needed some good harpsichord samples and these saved me! <3