Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Midi volume

BezalelBezalel United StatesPosts: 54

Why is it that if I use any midi keyboard as a midi controller, when triggered by the keys its waaayyyyyyy load. Way louder than if triggered by the Deluge which is the sound source????

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

The Deluge’s default velocity is 64 when sequencing or playing on audition pads or keyboard view. Many MIDI controllers will typically output over 100 when playing.
    You can change the Deluge‘s default velocity in the settings menu. Or you can simply turn down the instruments played by MIDI controllers, which I actually prefer to keep headroom.

Thank you so very much.
    Should I go up or down to achieve said task?

Raising the default velocity up to more closely match the average velocity of your playing will help match levels. Just be careful as this can sometimes create clipping/unwanted distortion if levels get too high.

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 603
    edited August 2021

my solution has been to lower how much velocity affects the master level of a synth patch so it won't tend to go higher than the default deluge volume. shift+master level then shift+velocity. generally all synth presets have it set to 50, i set it to 20 if i think velocity expression is still important for the patch, but generally stick to 10 or less and that's good for most purposes and reduces chance of clipping by a lot.

clipping is pretty unacceptable and as it seems to happen easily with higher velocities (and more polyphony) i rather stick to the default 65 velocity the deluge has and make the mentioned adjustment instead.

Post edited by reza on

Thank you both.
    I'll investigate all suggestions after a good morning of fishing 🎣
    Peace

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

@Too_Mere said:
    The Deluge’s default velocity is 64 when sequencing or playing on audition pads or keyboard view. Many MIDI controllers will typically output over 100 when playing.

Yes, but then you also change the velocity for the samples as well, as there's no seperate velocity setting.

You can change the Deluge‘s default velocity in the settings menu. Or you can simply turn down the instruments played by MIDI controllers, which I actually prefer to keep headroom.

Well, normally midi velocity has a max of 127, so you have some room there. Only for samples, 100 would be a bit much.

@djAzid said:
    Yes, but then you also change the velocity for the samples as well, as there's no seperate velocity setting.

Not sure I understand what you mean here.

Well, normally midi velocity has a max of 127, so you have some room there. Only for samples, 100 would be a bit much.

I said 100 because when playing my Launchpad, it usually outputs around 100+ velocity values, based on its settings and my playing. In some cases this is too much and partly why I opt to turn down the level of those instruments.

Hey guys, thanks for somewhat going in deep on the subject matter, by continuing the conversation.

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

@Too_Mere said:

@djAzid said:

Not sure I understand what you mean here.

Well, setting the velocity in the settings is used for both (internal) instruments & midi. Or am I wrong here ?

I said 100 because when playing my Launchpad, it usually outputs around 100+ velocity values, based on its settings and my playing. In some cases this is too much and partly why I opt to turn down the level of those instruments.

Could be, but as long as it's not clipping on the mixer, I rather use the fader from the mixer instead of changing the default velocity from the deluge all the time. So that's why I'm setting it to 100 instead of 64.

@djAzid said:

Well, setting the velocity in the settings is used for both (internal) instruments & midi. Or am I wrong here ?

Internal and MIDI clips yes. But the the default value in settings has no effect on incoming MIDI signals if that’s what you mean. And the velocity values can always be changed from the default. That’s just what first notes sequenced or played will be for each instrument.

Could be, but as long as it's not clipping on the mixer, I rather use the fader from the mixer instead of changing the default velocity from the deluge all the time. So that's why I'm setting it to 100 instead of 64.

Values of 100 or more can cause clipping within the Deluge itself if you don’t gain stage properly. This is why you may have to turn down the instrument level in these cases.