Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Loop layer volume decrease?

Hello,

I've been using my Deluge in a new way recently, less as a production tool and more as a songwriting notepad. I compose primarily with an electric bass plugged into the line-in, with programmed drums. The audio track/looper feature is very promising as a means to just capture a bunch of riffs and ideas with a unified tempo and song project, but there's a problem: after a few loop tracks are in song view (between 5-6 I think?), the recording volume of the input (the bass) drops noticably. My assumption is that it ducks the volume of new loops automatically after a certain point, assuming that you are using the Deluge like a normal looper and playing a bunch of loops at once, so the volume drop keeps the loops from getting too loud together.

However, in my case, each loop plays on its own (like song sections instead of layers) and having them at the same volume makes sense, and the decreases in volume of later layers become a nuisance. Is there any way around this? A buried menu option I missed in the manual?

Tagged:

Best Answer

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USAPosts: 993
    Answer ✓

The recording volume does not change based on number of tracks/clips. What I think may be happening is that you’re monitoring from one track with a level boost of some kind, but recording a clip(s) to a different track with a default (lower) level.

Also, connecting a bass guitar directly into the Deluge gives quite a low level. If you’re not already, I’d recommend using some type of preamp to get the bass signal to line level. This gives a more suitable volume for recording new clips without needing to boost the signal within the clip.

Answers

@Too_Mere said:
    The recording volume does not change based on number of tracks/clips. What I think may be happening is that you’re monitoring from one track with a level boost of some kind, but recording a clip(s) to a different track with a default (lower) level.

Also, connecting a bass guitar directly into the Deluge gives quite a low level. If you’re not already, I’d recommend using some type of preamp to get the bass signal to line level. This gives a more suitable volume for recording new clips without needing to boost the signal within the clip.

Thank you, this was exactly it! I'm actually running the bass through a multieffect box first so it has plenty of gain, but it turned out that I kept setting each track to monitor and never turned that off when moving to a new track, so I got super loud monitoring and quiet recording over time. A relief to know it was all my goof!

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

No problem. Glad you got it sorted out 👍🏼