Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Playing Midi-Clips Instantly - is it possible?

tingeltingel Hamburg / GermanyPosts: 43

Ahoi, I´m working on theatremusic for a barrel-organ which i feed with midi from the deluge...
Now I have some scenes, where i need to change the midi immidiatly (without waiting for the former clip to end).
So, do anybody know if it is possible to play Clips instantly?

Comments

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Instead of pressing "launch", press Shift + launch :wink:
    It's found in the manual on multiple places, for example under "7.2 Song View Basics"

Ah, cool - that's already something helpful! - what I'm actually looking for is: when i'm launching a new clip/group to start it from the very beginning of their sequence, no matter where the clip before was played... is this possible somehow?

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112
    edited July 2021

Hm, I don't think so - that would be awesome though! I know the Octatrack and 1010 Blackbox and two sequencers that feature this functionality .. I think it's a relatively rare feature

Following this thread in case someone has a workaround :smiley:

Post edited by Affectionate_Bee_781 on
    Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993
    edited July 2021

This isn’t really possible in song view. But there is a workaround that may work for your case in arranger view.
    If the arranger is playing, you can scroll to any position on the timeline and press the horizontal knob + play to instantly jump playback to that spot. If you set up the necessary clips in the arranger you could probably do what you need that way.
    Also keep in mind, playback can be seamlessly moved between arranger and song views. So you can move to the arranger before this transition and return to song view afterwards.

Post edited by Too_Mere on
    Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112
    edited July 2021

@Too_Mere when I try that, it still waits a bar before changing to the arranger play. Am I missing something?

Regardless, since @tingel is trying to have the clip start before the other clip ends, it seems that the arranger option would not allow for that? I'm interpreting this question as un-quantized clip launching

Post edited by Affectionate_Bee_781 on

Yes, switching to arranger is quantized. But once already in arranger, you can jump to any point instantly (no quantization).
    So I’m suggesting that you switch to arranger BEFORE the switch needs to happen. Then scroll to where you have the next MIDI clip placed. Then on cue you can instantly jump to that clip. And switch back to song mode after if you want/need to.

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Very clever workflow, @Too_Mere !

@Heptagen said:

Thanks! :)

@Heptagen said:

Yeah... that's one amazing workaround, thanx a lot @Too_Mere ! Now I just gotta practice doing all that only with my left hand... but I like that idea a lot, until it's hopefully possible one day directly in songmode... should be easily possible with a clever playbutton+X(triplets?)-combination :)