Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How do you use the delay amount?

The deluge delay behaves a way I have never seen anywhere else: in the first half it raises the feedback until it matches the level of the dry signal, beyond that it starts feeding into itself and spiraling upwards until it makes the output clip.

In the upper half I expected the dry signal to get quiet until it is all wet.

I can't think of any use case where I would need the delay to behave like this. Do you use the upper half of the amount? If so, how?

Tagged:

Comments

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

I don't have my Deluge in front of me right now, but I think I get some use of it by turning the delay time really low (fast) and then modulating the delay amount right above and below that half-way point. Also try putting delay amount at about 60% and modulating delay time near the super fast boundary.

The Deluge delay is pretty unique! It's quite fun to play with live but can get out of hand really easily. Also, try changing the mode from digital to analog

Alder_DiceAlder_Dice UKBeta Tester Posts: 128

The delay is a mystery! I can't think of any other delay with no independent controls for wet/dry and feedback amount. But most of the time it's in a nice sweet spot.

Modulating the delay amount with the side-chain is one of my favourite things to do.

BugahBugah Posts: 29

In Analog mode the delay amount doesn't feedback immediately at 100% if I recall correctly. Or at least I remember that in the analog mode it doesn't feedback as sharply or as immediately as the digital delay amount does. The feedback also has a different character in analog mode, the feedback will sound different.

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

In my test I only heard that the analog delay is a bit warmer, not as sharp and clean. Other than that it behaves the same: the amount also feedbacks from 50% up.

mumblethiefmumblethief torontoBeta Tester Posts: 12

For one song I automated the feedback to gradually increase as part of a small prechorus build before cutting it out for the more spacey chorus, and it worked well for that. That said, it's behavior has also caused me plenty of problems, but I think a lot of that was due to not at first grasping its unintuitive (to me at least) behavior.

PercivalePercivale SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 32

If the DIG delay could be amended such that ear-damaging volumes would be prevented. After one experience, I am very cautious when I am showing friends and families how the delay knob work.

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

Short delay times in Analog mode with high feedback used on drum sounds is great if you're a fan of dirty sounds.

The high feedback/dry-wet amount is great when you are using extreme bpm values when experimenting.