Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Add the ability to preview sounds only on the headphone output aka cue function

Imagine the scenario that you are in a live performance and you got a solid base with a few tracks running. Now you are searching for a certain sound you have saved as a synth preset or kit. However you don't have a clue which number it has. At the moment there's no possibility to find this sound without disturbing the audience with random sounds.

The MVP could look like this:
When shift+audition is pressed while in track mode, the selected sound is only played back via the headphone output.
I know that this would conflict with the functionality to suppress the playback of a kit sound but since it is only played back on the headphones I think this would be a good compromise for usability.

Tagged:

Comments

dest4bdest4b Frankfurt, GermanyPosts: 98

It would not be possible Headphone and Line-Out is Hardwired. The deluge has only one Stereo out.

www.soundcloud.com/dest4b

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Yeah that's a tough one.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

However, there's some good news: Jamie Fenton's Downrush tool for using the Toshiba FlashAir cards with built-in wifi to manage/browse/upload to and download from the SD card wirelessly from a computer, smartphone, tablet etc.

With this, you can f.ex. browse the samples and listen to them without it coming thru the main out. I use headphones into my smartphone as an added cue out. And you can view kits and synths parameter info and all that, though you can't preview synth sounds as of now.

https://github.com/jamiefaye/downrush

Here's from my post about it on FB:
    "wireless Deluge editor, called Downrush, which works via the Toshiba FlashAir SD card with WiFi -
    With this it's possible to access the card without removing it from the Deluge, by connecting to it just like you'd connect to any wifi network, and simply opening it in a web browser (I've used firefox and chrome). This means it's also possible to do it with a smartphone or other device with wifi-access!

"Downrush is a simple FlashAir file manager for Synthstrom Deluge. Expect improvements."

---- Things it can do and what I've found really useful:

*Browse, upload and download files without removing the card!

*Move and delete files to keep things more organized - f.ex. get rid of failed/ useless samples, unwanted songs etc.

*Rename samples and resamples as soon as you make them and before putting them into a project and saving!
    Especially handy with a smartphone when in the zone with the Deluge.

It's almost like an external screen, just not 100% real-time.

*XML editing (it has a built-in editor now) - get an overview of KITS/SYNTHS/SONGS, copy tracks between songs (!), copy and multiply kit sounds without having to make the same adjustments from scratch several times, and other such things not currently possible directly on the Deluge."

Wow, she JUST added this:

"...

:D

I tested the new version, brilliant to be able to cue-preview the kits like in the picture above :D

I got another idea how to archive a kind-of cue functionality with built-in features.

In a scenario where the deluge is connected to a mixer, only the left channel could be connected to the main bus (what people will hear) while the right channel is connected to another channel on the mixer which is not routed to main out but to a monitoring bus or something like that. When you want to preview a synth or kit, adjust the panorama to the right channel. Alternatively you could attach headphones and just listen to the right side. The obvious trade-off would be of course only mono output and that you always need to keep track about the panning status of each track.

That works too, if you don't wanna get a Toshiba card! The card and the editor/viewer is well worth it tho :)

KlaustrophilKlaustrophil Posts: 71
    edited January 2018

The problem is that I don't use any PC in my setup. Thats actually the reason why I bought the deluge for more than 1000 Euros (At least for me with import charges) instead of Ableton and a Midi Controller for 400 Euro ;)

Post edited by Klaustrophil on

Yeah I don't use a computer and I don't have Ableton either :) But do you apply the term PC to a smartphone or maybe some sort of pad/tablet too? Works for me at least, it's portable

mitchs1mitchs1 San DiegoPosts: 5

@Klaustrophil said:
    I got another idea how to archive a kind-of cue functionality with built-in features.

In a scenario where the deluge is connected to a mixer, only the left channel could be connected to the main bus (what people will hear) while the right channel is connected to another channel on the mixer which is not routed to main out but to a monitoring bus or something like that. When you want to preview a synth or kit, adjust the panorama to the right channel. Alternatively you could attach headphones and just listen to the right side. The obvious trade-off would be of course only mono output and that you always need to keep track about the panning status of each track.

This sounds like a great work around. I've been trying to figure out how to do this. Have you tried this and made it work? To me this is the biggest weakness of the Deluge right no, and would love to figure out a way to do this... Can expand a little bit more making this work?

Thanks,