Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

128gb SD card

BezalelBezalel United StatesPosts: 54

Good morning, afternoon, evening, all.
Can anyone prescribe the best tool that will properly Fat32 format my 128gb SD card to operate smoothly with the Deluge?

Comments

Actually I just realized that the read speed on my card is only 60 mb/s...
    This maybe why it doesn't gel well with the unit?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@Bezalel said:
    Good morning, afternoon, evening, all.
    Can anyone prescribe the best tool that will properly Fat32 format my 128gb SD card to operate smoothly with the Deluge?

What do you mean 'smoothly' and 'doesn't gel' ? Is it not working at all, or?

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

The 128 causes the unit to crash.
    Also when saving samples it takes longer.
    When saving the screen goes through the cycle for a while.

The original 32 card does not do that.
    And it's very rare to crash

But the 128 card crashes often.

I also just realized it's a 60 mb/s card.
    I assume that's the issue with the larger card

I think @rohan should maybe chime in here

That would be awesome 😎

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

Oh, we've been chatting through this already. Not sure what @Bezalel's issues are, but trying a different card and formatting differently might go a long way to seeing what they are.

I believe that he may be taking your advice lcoustik, in regards to formatting, and probably trying a more established brand of card.

edited July 2021

@Ian_Jorgensen said:
    Oh, we've been chatting through this already. Not sure what @Bezalel's issues are, but trying a different card and formatting differently might go a long way to seeing what they are.

I believe that he may be taking your advice lcoustik, in regards to formatting, and probably trying a more established brand of card.

I'm wondering if the mb/s rate actually has any effect at all

Post edited by Icoustik on

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    edited July 2021

I'm wondering if the mb/s rate actually has any effect at all

This is a good article to read in regards to SD card speeds and their importance (https://acousticnature.com/journal/best-sd-card-for-recording-audio). Super fast cards these days are designed more for coping with 4k raw video and burst photography, thats where you need those epic fast cards.
    Not so much audio, you can see on the table, 48/24 only needs 0.29 MB/s and even the most budget cards should handle 2 MB/s (class 2). We haven't done extensive testing with a variety of cards, but also, we've never found card speed to be an issue - it is much more likely other factors on said SD card, not its speed.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on

Thanks guys for all your input..
    Here and behind the scenes.
    I'm still searching for the perfect Fat32 format tool for😬 windows 7😬
    Obviously the first go around it worked but it was an extremely janky experience.
    Hopefully after a re-format and a 32kb adjustment things will pan out.

PuppeteerPuppeteer Perth, West OzBeta Tester Posts: 52

I just added a 128MB card to my Deluge. What I ended up doing was formatting with powershell on Win 10. It messed up but then allowed me to use FAT32 Format. FAT32 Format would not convert the format initially as it complained the drive was unavailable.

It works flawlessly now. We use Sandisk Ultra 128GB on both of our Deluges. We were running out of room on our 32GB cards

This is the guide I used.

https://www.howtogeek.com/316977/how-to-format-usb-drives-larger-than-32gb-with-fat32-on-windows/

thank you sir... I will investigate