Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Multisample XML help?

D4tzD4tz A.U.S.TPosts: 6

Hi Everyone,

I’ve tried a search on more detail regarding samples and XML files but am still unclear of the procedure.

I have sampled all the XG and standard Perfomance sounds from a hardware Yamaha CS1x Synth and would like to be able to scroll through them like factory ‘Synth’ sounds and not load them as a ‘New Synth’ multisample. (I’d like them to work just like the TAL and other packs of users have made).

Where could I find a somewhat easy to understand way of doing the XML files (for over 200 sounds), or a template, or a third party software to make this process less time consuming?

Alternatively , I could upload all the samples if someone can sort out the XML. If I can get it all done Im more than happy to contribute and megaupload them for everyone’s use.

Many thanks guys/gals.

Tagged:

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

If you have a folder of multisamples of a patch in the samples folder, you can create a new patch (shift + synth) then use the browse shortcut, select bottom-top, then navigate to the folder. Press and hold the select knob until MULT shows up. Press select one more time.

The samples should now be loaded into that preset and you can save with save + synth.

So this is really the only way to save onboard? Loading them 1 by 1 and then saving again?

Omg this will take a very long time to do for 200+ sounds?

Is there a faster way to do it on PC/MAC with a software or script?

(My main folder is named ‘Yamaha CS1x’. Inside it I have ‘CS1x XG’ and ‘CS1x Perf ’ , and within each of those 2 folders are 128 folders with all the multisampled synth sound files).

Thanks Too_Mere, I do know this way but I can’t get my head around having to do this for 200+ sounds. I’ve got a Yamaha SY-85 to do after this too).

😀👍🏻

Editing the xml files is very possible. But I’m not aware of any scripts made/shared that can do specifically this.

phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

@Too_Mere said:
    Editing the xml files is very possible. But I’m not aware of any scripts made/shared that can do specifically this.

There should be one. I can help with that if it really doesn't exist (which would be hard to believe!).

Would just be great to know how most people output their multi-sample files so that the script can be generic enough to "just work" in most situations.

DaEmbassyDaEmbassy SydneyPosts: 54

I've been pondering the question from @D4tz. - Total Honesty I have not yet played with multi-samples yet. But my understanding is:

If you create a new synth using multi-samples, and save the new synth with the name "A1" then you should end up with a file on your SD card named \SYNTHS\SYNTA1.xml

The XML file must reference each and every WAV file sample explicitly, including the full path name of each sample . For instance if you have samples for "Sound1" you may have filed them on your SD card with the following path: \SAMPLES\MULTISAMPLE\Yamaha CS1x\Sound1

I reason that to create Synth "B2" which is based on WAV files in sub-folder "Sound2", you only need to make a copy of SYNTA1.xml file and call it SYNTB2.xml, replace all the WAV file references with the path to your other multi-samples, Save it, and you have what you want.

So you could use a text editor to modify the SYNTB2.xml file replacing every reference to "\SAMPLES\MULTISAMPLES\Yamaha CS1x\Sound1\" with "\SAMPLES\MULTISAMPLES\Yamaha CS1x\Sound2\"

It would not take long to figure out if this works.

If this does work, you would get 200 Synths built a whole lot faster than importing each one by hand. Depending on your platform, you may even be able to script the whole process.

I am ready to be wrong, and to be educated.

Cheers,

Michael

Evening Michael,

That’s a great reply and thought into how one could do it.
    It’s clear to understand the way your thinking and worth checking out..

I managed to get them saved manually today just creating 1 new synth, loading a sample, saving, then opening another & saving. All of 250 samples and it actually didn’t take as long as I thought. (So tonight I started on sampling the SY85).

It would be great to have a little program that you could point to your multisample sample directory (in my case ‘multisamples/CS1x’ folder).
    (*1 - Tell pc where the samples are).

Choose how/where you want the samples placed in the deluge : like from 171 onwards, Or ‘CS1x-001’ onwards.
    (* 2 - Tell where you want the samples and in what name/number format).

Hit Enter and it would process to create the XML files either in its correct location on the SD card (Synth directory) or you ‘choose destination’ and manual put the XML files onto the SD card.
    (* 3 - Pc writes and puts the XML files in the correct location and you now can scroll your multisamples as Synth patches all nice and easy).

Cheers.

D4tz

DaEmbassyDaEmbassy SydneyPosts: 54

Hi @D4tz

There is a program called DELUGEATOR which is put together by @Bolgani
    He put it together to create new sounds and new kits. I do not pretend to be an expert, but the Author is! It may be worth your while downloading the program and having a look at the documentation.

Cheers,

Michael

BolganiBolgani SuomiPosts: 61
    edited July 2021

Yeah, Delugeator. Sorry, I missed this, been on holiday.

Unfortunately current version of Delugeator handles only sample based kits and multisample synth is, well, a synth. This may and will probably change in future versions but this is the situation currently.

But of course since I have been working with this I do know how the settings work in XML-files, so I'm happy to help in any way but since the multisample process involves getting the samples distributed to correct notes, it can be hard manually and a bit error prone. In fact I think that you would still be easier off by just loading the samples to SD card and then doing the process described in manual page 175 for each sound. )

In the XML file there are for multisamples a sampleRanges -section under the oscillator that looks like this:
    < sampleRanges >
    < sampleRange transpose="5" fileName="SAMPLES/Multisamples/InstrumentFolder/InstrumentSample--G2.wav" rangeTopNote="55" >
    < zone endSamplePos="379648" startSamplePos="0" / >
    < /sampleRange >
    ... many other samples ...
    < /sampleRanges >

And in there the transpose value, hmm, the value to which Deluge transposes the sample (same value as with Transpose-setting in the machine), rangeTopNote is the top note where this sample is used and zone endSamplePos is the lenght which is calculated, erm, somehow. If I remember correctly Delugeator just uses a calculated value here, since I had no idea where the lenght is actually based on (not milliseconds). :D That's all I can figure out by briefly looking at these, I haven't actually tried loading or editing multisamples before. But getting these right manually can be an handful. :/ And of course there's also the other settings like envelope release times that could need tweaking.

Post edited by Bolgani on
    edited July 2021

Thanks for some insight Bolgani.

I haven’t looked at the XML files after I saved them onboard but what you have mentioned above makes me think it might be easier for now to manually save each file onboard.

I guess if all onboard parameters are set to a ‘default’ level as to not modify the sample imported/loaded to use, and you can enter a sample note range of say C1 to C6, might be of use in samples being correctly loaded.
    This is all of course with a little utility app to make the import process quicker of 10s/100s of ‘multisamples’.

If I get time I’ll have a look at my imported saved samples XML but unfortunately I can’t program to write such a utility.

(Maybe this procedure could be carried out on the Deluge itself by group importing and saving as synths?).

Thanks very much though for the input.

D4tz

Post edited by D4tz on
    lordcasiolordcasio Kingston, NYPosts: 3
    edited July 2021

Has no one on the forum checked out Sample Robot 6.5? It has a Deluge export function. I still don’t know too much about it. I came across this thread while looking into more insight. From what I’ve read, it could simplify creating multisampled instruments for Deluge. There’s one video on YouTube (it’s pretty lo-fi)…

Post edited by lordcasio on

@lordcasio said:
    Has no one on the forum checked out Sample Robot 6.5? It has a Deluge export function. I still don’t know too much about it. I came across this thread while looking into more insight. From what I’ve read, it could simplify creating multisampled instruments for Deluge. There’s one video on YouTube (it’s pretty lo-fi)…

Helpful software for sure! Didn’t think to mention because the OP already has their samples. So not as worth it in that case.

Lo-fi is my vibe. Sorry not sorry 😜 lol