Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Midi track recording errors

KinNectarKinNectar Portland, ORPosts: 7

Hello all,

I am confronting a very weird quirk in recording MIDI on the Deluge. I have an Arturia KeyLab MKII which I am running direct into the Deluge (or sometimes through a Retrokits RK-006 midi interface). When I use it to play a Synth track it works perfectly.

Also when I play it to a Midi track controlling an external synthesizer, it sounds just as good when I am playing it live. However, if I record what I'm playing on the Midi track and play it back through the same synth it comes out wonky, with the velocity, after touch, and note duration all messed up.

Strangely, if I play and record a synth track, and then convert that synth track over to be a midi track, then it plays back perfectly, with none of the discrepancies from the original performance.

Now, I can use this work around to make it work by using my midi interface to directly play the synth I want to control with the deluge and the synth track on the deluge at the same time while recording on the deluge with the volume on the track or master on the deluge turned to zero, then converting the track to Midi, but this is cumbersome and shouldn't be necessary.

Is there something I am doing wrong when recording a midi track? Has anyone else had this experience?

Cheers,
KinNectar

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Is there a chance the KeyLab is sending MIDI on the same channel as the MIDI clip used to control the external synth?

KinNectarKinNectar Portland, ORPosts: 7

@Too_Mere said:
    Is there a chance the KeyLab is sending MIDI on the same channel as the MIDI clip used to control the external synth?

When I playback the midi track the KeyLab isn't sending.

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Just thinking if MIDI thru is on, it may be doubling signals or something if both are set to the same MIDI channel. Maybe try changing channels on one or the other and/or turning off MIDI thru if it’s on.