Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Change default note length?

takeouttakeout United StatesPosts: 1

Hi! I absolutely love the deluge. Using it to sequence modular w/ both Midi and CV. One issue that I have is this:

When I create a 16th note (tapping a square in piano roll view when the grid is set to 1/16) what actually happens is I create a 32nd note with a length of 1/32nd. You can see this yourself easily—create a note then zoom in—the note is actually a gate of length ((div / 2)) + (div / 2)) where div is the division. For example, a quarter note, when zoomed in, is actually an 1/8th note lasting for 1/8th note. p

Instinctively this makes sense, but it causes issues when using most MIDI-CV modules. Gates that are next to each other are usually read as a single gate—the same thing as holding a key down on a monophonic keyboard and playing another key. The pitch will change, but the gate won't retrigger.

This can be fixed by zooming in and manually adjusting the gate lengths, but is there any setting that I am unable to find that allows you to specify default note length? I would love it if a 16th note would actually just be a 16th note at every level, rather than being a 16th note at 1/16th zoom ratio, and then a gate of expanding length as I zoom in further.

If this doesn't make sense, I am happy to provide a video!

Comments

jaiden0jaiden0 Massachusetts, USABeta Tester Posts: 1

I have this same problem feeding the FH-2

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

I’m not sure I understand what you’re experiencing. When notes are placed they fill the note value of the current zoom level. At 16th zoom 16th notes are placed. If you then zoom in to 32nd you’ll see the placed 16th is two 32nd long. 2x32nd=16th.

Perhaps a video would help.

altitusaltitus SwedenPosts: 3
    edited January 2022

@Too_Mere said:
    I’m not sure I understand what you’re experiencing. When notes are placed they fill the note value of the current zoom level. At 16th zoom 16th notes are placed. If you then zoom in to 32nd you’ll see the placed 16th is two 32nd long. 2x32nd=16th.

Perhaps a video would help.

Yes, this is what they meant i believe. 2x32nds for each 16th (when placed with default zoom) is what I get and it causes the described issues for me as well.

Connecting the deluge to VCV rack's MIDI to CV module and placing a note every 16th (in the default zoom view) will make some of the gates being tied/missed.

In practice, this adds unwanted randomness to, e.g. missed hi-hat hits or bass line notes (in VCV rack). Zooming in and manually shorten each note will fix the missing gates but is cumbersome.

If there isn't a way to change the default note/gate length (other than zooming and shorten each note), this would be very useful, I think.

Post edited by altitus on
    Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

I’ve just tested and found that dropping a row of 16th notes seems to send gates just fine. When the synth has a longer decay/release these gates may get ignored due to gate already being open. I found that using a quicker envelope makes the issue go away.

A quick way to drop staccato 16ths (only a 32nd long) is to zoom into 32nd zoom, turn on cross-screen (to fill both pages), and places notes on every other pad. 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.
    The note length is always the same as zoom level. So maybe that helps?

xntrkxntrk Posts: 1

I'm having the same issue with MIDI tracks. The 16th notes are a bit too long. If there was a way to adjust the default note length so it could be half of what ever the viewable resolution is it make things a lot easier. having to zoom in to 32nd notes just to create 16ths is a real pain. This really only applies to MIDI because you are generally going to handle the envelop somewhere else so if the gate is too long it ties all the notes together.

altitusaltitus SwedenPosts: 3

@Too_Mere said:
    I’ve just tested and found that dropping a row of 16th notes seems to send gates just fine. When the synth has a longer decay/release these gates may get ignored due to gate already being open. I found that using a quicker envelope makes the issue go away.

A quick way to drop staccato 16ths (only a 32nd long) is to zoom into 32nd zoom, turn on cross-screen (to fill both pages), and places notes on every other pad. 1, 3, 5, 7, etc.
    The note length is always the same as zoom level. So maybe that helps?

As @xntrk said, for the Deluge's own synths it works as intended depending on the envelope. It's more a MIDI out issue, probably, where gates unintentionally and seemingly randomly ties the notes (that's my experience over USB to VCV-rack)

The cross-screen works as a good work around to get untied 32nds, I suppose, but a bit tedious :smile:

sfjtdrsfjtdr nycPosts: 3

Anything? It would be nice if there was a default setting for gate length, or even a way to quickly adjust gate length, like how adjusting the velocity per pad already works, whereas every pad is the same value after.
    Pulsar-23 sequencing would benefit greatly from this.

z0mgz0mg Posts: 1

@sfjtdr said:
    Anything? It would be nice if there was a default setting for gate length, or even a way to quickly adjust gate length, like how adjusting the velocity per pad already works, whereas every pad is the same value after.
    Pulsar-23 sequencing would benefit greatly from this.

bump,
    would also really appreciate such a setting

sfjtdrsfjtdr nycPosts: 3

bump again