Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

2 deluges... midi sync issue

PhonicPhonic USAPosts: 26

I have 2 deluges... i want to mix my songs into eachother and have access to all the parts still... i have gotten one to sync to the other. I set it up so that when i start song on deluge1, deluge2 syncs and starts at the same time... while thisnis great for production... this is not what im looking for to play live(and i cant figure out how to unlearn deluge song trigger)...

i need to be able to press start on deluge2 and have the beats be synced to an already in progress song on deluge1 or i dont see how i can play songs ive made back and forth without sloppy “mixing”

I know there is a tempo nudge... but this is really not accurate enough to work half the time... is it possible to play one deluge and then press play on a second deluge and have the beats actually sync? Or does sync simply mean the tempo and not the sequence? Ps.. deluge one will show a temp of say 125... deluge 2 when perfectly synced on song trigger will show 125.3(while this is weird and i dont understand it... i really need these to sync up and beat match to be useable live or i will have to get rid of the 2nd deluge). Please help

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

I don't think I understand your workflow?
    Or maybe you're missing a few things.
    Firstly, why not just load song during playback, on deluge2 (synced to deluge1 like you have now), instead of stopping and starting? It'll be synced to the already in-progress song on deluge1.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

Workflow start to finish all takes place on one deluge with the other simply being a clone with the same sd card with the intention of playing my music live between the 2... like playing a dj set with all my own stems... and not having to play my songs on usb sticks. I want 2 deluges in sync at all times. When i press start on the 2nd deluge... they are at the same tempo but not in sync. Because i am in arranger mode i cant just load a track on deluge 2 and wait for the current track to end... that would only work in non arranger mode with short loops so far as i can tell

Im in arrange view. i want to do what i would do as a dj... when song playing on deluge1 is 3/4 of the way thru i want to be able to start the next song on deluge2 and have them be in sync... i am not song or clip view.

Am I fundamentally missing something about how midi works. Has nobody ever wanted to start a midi instrument mid sequence?

Apologies as i am good at the music part and terrible at the tech part.

@Phonic said:

Because i am in arranger mode i cant just load a track on deluge 2 and wait for the current track to end... that would only work in non arranger mode with short loops so far as i can tell

No, that's not the case. You can save songs in arranger mode, and load them during playback so that they'll start playing in sync.

Play song on Delly1 with Delly2 in regular midi sync. Load a song on Delly2 that is in arranger, during playback. It will load at Delly1's next end of measure in the currently playing sequence - not the end of the song.
    Ideally you'd have a DJ mixer inbetween the Deluges as well.
    Regardless, Delly2 will indeed load an arrangement in sync.

edited May 2021

So if my tracks in arranger have different lengthd and some have random white instance long synth samples... am i waiting for the longest current sample to end for the new track on del2 to start playback?

Sometimes the trigger start takes longer than i expected ... i assume this is because of differing clip lengths?

And yes i have a 6 channel mixer for 2 1200s, 2 cd decks, and 2 deluges... been at it since 96

Post edited by Phonic on
    edited May 2021

@Phonic said:
    So if my tracks in arranger have different lengthd and some have random white instance long synth samples... am i waiting for the longest current sample to end for the new track on del2 to start playback?

Yep, pretty much!

Sometimes the trigger start takes longer than i expected ... i assume this is because of differing clip lengths?

Yeah, just gotta plan it a little with the end-of-measures

been at it since 96

That's super dope :)

Post edited by Icoustik on

Thanks I appreciate your help!

edited May 2021

@Phonic said:
    Thanks I appreciate your help!

via GIPHY