Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sidechain from the audio input?

denkyuudenkyuu United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 11

I've been wanting to send the kick from my drummers kick drum into deluge to duck synths and samples. Is that possible?

I have a send of the kick signal from my mixer, I just don't know how to use it to trigger the sidechain.

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@denkyuu said:
    I've been wanting to send the kick from my drummers kick drum into deluge to duck synths and samples. Is that possible?

I have a send of the kick signal from my mixer, I just don't know how to use it to trigger the sidechain.

Audio signals can't be used to trigger sidechain. But you can use silent notes laid out in the same pattern as the external kick drum if you want. Use a sound that sends to the sidechain, put notes into the grid and turn their velocity to 0. They'll trigger the sidechain without producing sound.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

joeshjoesh BrusselsPosts: 67

@Icoustik said:
    Audio signals can't be used to trigger sidechain. But you can use silent notes laid out in the same pattern as the external kick drum if you want. Use a sound that sends to the sidechain, put notes into the grid and turn their velocity to 0. They'll trigger the sidechain without producing sound.

Okay, that's interesting to know, although I hadn't tried it.

Since I've started using the sidechain a little more recently, after several suggestions here on the forum, I'm wondering, can samples trigger the sidechain? If so, you could have a lot of fun recording and resampling your drums - or anything - into the Deluge, then sending it to the sidechain.

I guess I should read the manual again.

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

@joesh said:
    I'm wondering, can samples trigger the sidechain?

Yes, but they only trigger it once the moment the sample starts. So if you have a drum loop sample and use it to trigger the sidechain, it will be triggered only once, every time the sample starts, not every time the kick is heard.

How I found this out: I was missing a compressor in the deluge for vocals. So I had a big brain moment and thought "what if I use the recording of the vocals to trigger the sidechain and then make the same recording receive the sidechain it triggered itself?" If the sidechaining in the deluge was a real compressor, this would have worked. But what happened was that in the moment the sample started, it was ducked but not after that.
    So you can think of the sidechain compression in the deluge like a "midi effect" that gets triggered every time the white cursor hits a lit up pad of an instrument / a sample that is set to trigger the sidechain.

@Heptagen said:

@joesh said:
    I'm wondering, can samples trigger the sidechain?

Yes, but they only trigger it once the moment the sample starts. So if you have a drum loop sample and use it to trigger the sidechain, it will be triggered only once, every time the sample starts, not every time the kick is heard.

Slice it and use one or multiple slices of choice to send to the sidechain :)

joeshjoesh BrusselsPosts: 67

@Heptagen and @Icoustik, thanks, that's useful to know.

Shame it only triggers once (which is quite logical), it would be great to be able to map the volume levels of a sample to the sidechain send levels/parameters.

Any suggestions on how that could be possible?

@joesh said:
    @Heptagen and @Icoustik, thanks, that's useful to know.

Shame it only triggers once (which is quite logical), it would be great to be able to map the volume levels of a sample to the sidechain send levels/parameters.

Any suggestions on how that could be possible?

That brings me back to my first comment: Audio signals can't be used to trigger sidechain :P
    They could however, if it was an actual compressor, which does respond to audio signals.
    Maybe some day!

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

A real compressor is quite high up on the wishlist of a lot of users. :smile: Maybe one day Rohan blesses us with this feature, but until then you'll have to use workarounds using external hardware or software for compression.