β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

ANDREW HUANG - Top 3 Portable Music Devices May 2021

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Nice 1! :)

~ Distinguished Delugate α••( β—Ž_β—Ž)α•—

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Finally! Andrew had a deluge for such a long time I was wondering why he didn't mention it anywhere. The deluge can't get enough exposure by the big guys like Andrew Huang, Jeremy Blake and such. This makes me happy. :blush:

It's kinda strange though how often I hear something about the learning curve being steep. I was making tracks within minutes of owning my unit. I don't think it could be much easier to understand the basic functions. And the shortcuts on the grid are not complicated or a hindrance, they are the bomb, I NEVER use the drill-down menu.

Did I get everything in the first days? No I didn't. But I also didn't need to, because even if I only understood and used 5% of its functions I was still able to make music using that. And every function I discovered on top was an inspiration for another track, an opportunity to mix things up and try something different. It still happens. And ultimatively it will keep happening with the upcoming updates. (And honestly, once I understood the first 5%, the rest was just a matter of knowing it's there. The workflow is so coherent, the deluge pretty much explains itself. )

I think people say the deluge is complicated either if they

a) expect to understand every single detail instantly, because they think that they need that to make good music. Which is a misconception.

b) start making music expecting the exact same workflow and functions of a complete daw and then get frustrated if some details don't work the way they thought it would so they have to look for workarounds.
    What I did instead was approaching the device with the mindset of: I wonder how I sound like using this instrument. And I was pleasantly surprised! I made music I otherwise wouldn't have. I would sound completely different using an OP-1 or an op-z or a tracker. I'd even sound different using different daws! A pianist would have a bad time if he expected to make the same music using a guitar or a flute.
    So just chill, go with the flow and enjoy the ride. :wink:

(Sorry for the long post nobody called for. :lol: )

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199
    edited May 2021

it's only at nr 3 :s

I think people say the deluge is complicated either if they

It can be, but the first thing you should do when you get it, is to configure it for your needs.
    That can save lotsa time afterwards.

Post edited by djAzid on

@djAzid said:
    it's only at nr 3 :s

Yeah, but the second one is an ad for his app and the first is a device he has been using forever. I think in his video the deluge has gotten the best placement possible.
    By the way, Jeremy Blake (red means recording) prefers the deluge over the OP-1 :wink:

It can be, but the first thing you should do when you get it, is to configure it for your needs.
    That can save lotsa time afterwards.

What did you configure? I haven't changed anything from the standard to this day...

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

@Heptagen said:
    Yeah, but the second one is an ad for his app and the first is a device he has been using forever. I think in his video the deluge has gotten the best placement possible.

Totally agree

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

kilroykilroy CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 25

It's kinda strange though how often I hear something about the learning curve being steep.

Right. The piano roll style combined with scroll and zoom is incredibly intuitive. For drum sequencing you can literally see the sequence of 8 drum tracks simultaneously. The stuff that is hard to remember are generally features you simply can't do on other groove boxes anyways or if you can they're buried deep in menus that aren't labeled on the buttons.

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

@Heptagen said:

What did you configure? I haven't changed anything from the standard to this day...

Oh, some midi settings I think and sometimes preview set to conditional can be handy. And velocity set to 100 instead of 64.

tamlyntamlyn LondonBeta Tester Posts: 32

I think in his video the deluge has gotten the best placement possible.

I agree. I'd never heard of the Deluge until I saw that Andrew Huang video last week. Today I placed my order for one!

:excited:

@tamlyn Congrats and welcome to the fam! B)

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@tamlyn said:

I agree. I'd never heard of the Deluge until I saw that Andrew Huang video last week. Today I placed my order for one!

Noice! Welcome indeed :)

~ Distinguished Delugate α••( β—Ž_β—Ž)α•—

ZiltoidZiltoid AustraliaPosts: 3

@tamlyn said:

We're here for the same reason then! I'm excited to dip Into this machine.

@Ziltoid Ha that's awesome! Welcome! :)