Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

MIDI input Velocity problem ....insights?

WillWill Middle of NowHere, CanadaPosts: 236

I am using my Deluge with the new Novation Launchpad X controller.
I had to try a few MIDI/USB hosts to find one that worked, (ended up with the Kensington MIDI/USB host MkII).

Most of the functions work, and the Launchpad can be customized using their computer software - which has been very quick and easy.

PROBLEM: When controlling the Deluge externally, the velocity coming in, seems to be very high value.
**The sounds are considerably louder than when just playing the Deluge from its' own buttons.

I've tried different settings within the Launchpad, but even with the Lowest velocity curve, some of the sounds emanating from the Deluge actually distort.

Very frustrating.

Does anyone have any insights as how to modify, limit or customize the velocity curve - on either device?

I use this in my set up without a computer, so I need something 'standalone'

Thankful for any insights.

Will

Canada

Comments

phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

@Will Have you tried turning down the Osc 1 and/or Osc 2 volume to a very low setting to avoid the distortion? That is how I've avoided it using a MIDI keyboard.

@phillipadsmith said:
    @Will Have you tried turning down the Osc 1 and/or Osc 2 volume to a very low setting to avoid the distortion? That is how I've avoided it using a MIDI keyboard.

I could do that, however I'd have to rewrite those settings on dozens and dozens of patches.....The other issue, is that then, when I use my Deluge WITHOUT the launchpad, my output levels would be substantially reduced.

Thanks for the suggestion though - I'm trying to keep an open mind.......

;0)

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

@Will said:

PROBLEM: When controlling the Deluge externally, the velocity coming in, seems to be very high value.
    The sounds are considerably louder than when just playing the Deluge from its' own buttons.

Deulge uses 64 as the "normal" velocity, but a number of keyboards send 100. (Out of 127).

If you can change the velocity curve on your controller synth, you're set. I know I can on my (archaic) SY99. Should be able to on the Launchpad?

@hexagon5un said:

@Will said:

The sounds are considerably louder than when just playing the Deluge from its' own buttons.

Deulge uses 64 as the "normal" velocity, but a number of keyboards send 100. (Out of 127).

If you can change the velocity curve on your controller synth, you're set. I know I can on my (archaic) SY99. Should be able to on the Launchpad?

Thanks, sadly, even the lowest Velocity Curve on the LaunchpadX is puts out too strong a MIDI velocity number, and I get distortion. I think a couple of people on the forum here have indicated a solution, I just have to attempt it.......

jsilencejsilence GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 27

You could use a Blokas Midihub to "normalise" Velocities on the fly between your controllers and synths. Maybe a bit of an overkill if only used for solving this problem, but the Midihub is a gem in itself, so...

@jsilence said:
    You could use a Blokas Midihub to "normalise" Velocities on the fly between your controllers and synths. Maybe a bit of an overkill if only used for solving this problem, but the Midihub is a gem in itself, so...

Hey - Thank You.....I'll check it out.
    That's exactly the type of solution I was hoping for, however I have found something else that will solve the problem to some extent, internally.....

I appreciate you taking a mo to pass on the info

w

;0)