Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Revert synth preset tweaks in a patch.

broughtonfilmbroughtonfilm New YorkBeta Tester Posts: 69

How do you reset a synth preset to its saved state? When tweaking a preset the changes are remembered by Deluge. The only way I was able to make it forget the tweaks is either by saving them as a version and switching back to the original one or by loading a new song (and of course turning the Deluge off also makes it forget the tweaks). There must be an easier way.

Also, can I load an existing synth preset into a kit?

Thanks

Comments

MaxOSMaxOS Los AngelesPosts: 50
    edited May 2021

I believe that a tweaked preset will always override the saved version if it shares the same name.

I designated a "trash" slot where I dump all of my unwanted tweaked presets so I don't crowd up my memory with presets that I don't even like.

Post edited by MaxOS on
    sssetzsssetz USAPosts: 12

Just got my deluge yesterday and diving right in! I’ve been reading through these forums over the past week or so waiting for shipping so I’ve seen a handful of helpful responses. First hour with the deluge and I’ve managed to create a cool lil loop, but after messing with effects on a synth patch I’ve totally destroyed the sound and cant seem to get it back to the original version. I guess I’ll try reloading the song as mentioned as a workaround for now, but I felt like changing synth presets to a new synth and back again should do the trick?
    Thanks

@MaxOS said:
    I believe that a tweaked preset will always override the saved version if it shares the same name.

I designated a "trash" slot where I dump all of my unwanted tweaked presets so I don't crowd up my memory with presets that I don't even like.

Well, of course if you save something with the same name it will overwrite the existing preset. What I wanted to know was how to reset the preset that is not saved, how to bring it back to its saved state without the methods I mentioned. Seems like a very basic thing.

@sssetz said:
    I guess I’ll try reloading the song as mentioned as a workaround for now, but I felt like changing synth presets to a new synth and back again should do the trick?
    Thanks

Loading a different preset and going back to the one with tweaks does not revert it to the saved state. I actually like it because otherwise you could lose all the tweaks by accidentally loading a different preset. But I'm looking for a simple method of reverting it without having to do the workarounds I mentioned.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

I like MaxOS's solution of having a "trash" patch where you save things that you want to lose and re-load from the defaults. Want to lose a patch? Save it as "trash". Very clean. Just remember to never use "trash" in a song! :)

The way the Deluge works (local copy of every patch/kit saved with the song) is very powerful, b/c it lets you tweak the 808 kit so that it sounds different in every song, without having to fill up your hard drive with "808_SongNameA", "808_SongNameB" etc. And as you say, you can audition other sounds and come back without losing your tweaks.

I just now tried a naive edit-the-song-XML approach to delete the instrument entirely, but then the Deluge reports that the song is corrupt, b/c it has a track that uses a sound that it doesn't have data for. Oh well. It would be possible to do this right, but it's more hassle than it's worth. The "trash" solution is probably the easiest/cleanest.

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

I like MaxOS's solution of having a "trash" patch where you save things that you want to lose and re-load from the defaults. Want to lose a patch? Save it as "trash". Very clean. Just remember to never use "trash" in a song! :)

The way the Deluge works (local copy of every patch/kit saved with the song) is very powerful, b/c it lets you tweak the 808 kit so that it sounds different in every song, without having to fill up your hard drive with "808_SongNameA", "808_SongNameB" etc. And as you say, you can audition other sounds and come back without losing your tweaks.

I just now tried a naive edit-the-song-XML approach to delete the instrument entirely, but then the Deluge reports that the song is corrupt, b/c it has a track that uses a sound that it doesn't have data for. Oh well. It would be possible to do this right, but it's more hassle than it's worth. The "trash" solution is probably the easiest/cleanest.

sssetzsssetz USAPosts: 12

Ok, the idea of naming a “poorly edited patch” something like “trash” is an ok solution, and then you can easily delete it off the SD as well in the future. But I do think that idea of reverting a synth track to its previous saved state is something that “should” be pretty easy to achieve. I do understand the benefits mentioned above of having the local copies stored even when changing synths/kits, but especially as someone just learning the device—whenever I start to explore a patch, its incredibly hard to get it back to “normal”. Some of the synth effects knobs tweak values to insane amounts and simply having a “shift+synth button+select click down” sort of revert would be really great.

That being said, I appreciate the ideas for the “trash save” workaround for now, thank you!
    -sss

MaxOSMaxOS Los AngelesPosts: 50

Well, of course if you save something with the same name it will overwrite the existing preset.

Sorry, What I meant was that even if you don't save the tweaked patch, it will still take the place of the saved patch that shares the same name (kind of like an auto-save function within the song). The "trash" solution is the only way I have found to get the tweaked version out of the way and revert to the saved patch.