β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Volume level balancing

sleeptotemsleeptotem Beta Tester Posts: 22

Hi everyone,
This is a fairly generic question but I just wanted to see how other people deal with it.
I often find my self bumping into digital clipping issues when I have multiple things going on at once, more often than not when I have audio tracks.
So my question is, how do you deal with volume levels across tracks to avoid clipping?

Comments

phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

@sleeptotem said:
    I often find my self bumping into digital clipping issues when I have multiple things going on at once, more often than not when I have audio tracks.

Same. Just happened last night when playing two re-sampled loops together (each from the same source).

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited May 2021

I usually turn down osc levels to around 35 to all the things. Noticed on most patches with osc levels on 50 that if you hit a 2-3 note chord it goes into clipping.

Post edited by volsteh on

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

If your audio clips are clipping you likely need to turn them down at the source, or switch the mic input to low gain.
    If it’s the sum of the clips together that’s clipping then turn down the clips and raise the master volume if needed.

phillipadsmithphillipadsmith United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 89

@volsteh said:
    I usually turn down osc levels to around 35 to all the things. Noticed on most patches with osc levels on 50 that if you hit a 2-3 note chord it goes into clipping.

Will give that a try, thanks!

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

@volsteh said:

The specifics there will depend on a lot of things, notably including note velocity (assuming you have that modulating main level as in the init synth state). People's velocity habits vary widely.

Also keep in mind that OSC level can have a big impact on tone if you're using saturation or the drive filter (and maybe other things I'm forgetting or don't know).

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

I think this has been discussed a few times here. My go to solution (assuming you can control levels from an external place, i.e. mixer) is to turn the song volume way down and then max the output volume.

Other than that, you can turn the oscillator levels down. This is particularly useful to control distortion from the saturation parameter and the "drip" LP filter.

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

@Affectionate_Bee_781 said:
    the "drip" LP filter.

*"drive" LP filter :wink:

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@Heptagen said:

@Affectionate_Bee_781 said:
    the "drip" LP filter.

*"drive" LP filter :wink:

Right, beat me to it :P

~ Distinguished Delugate α••( β—Ž_β—Ž)α•—

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

Ha, y'all know I'm still trying to learn this Deluge language :D

Fwiw, I've been using the Deluge more to sequence other synths as opposed to sampling them. This avoids the Deluge DAC as much as possible and gives me other flexibility