Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Assign pitchbend from external controller without having to learn from MIDI notes

YwenYwen Paris, FrancePosts: 21
edited April 2021 in Deluge Help

Is there a way to assign the MIDI pitchbend message (on some channel) to a Deluge synth track without sending MIDI notes?

I have an external controller that sends pitchbends and some CC messages (https://www.enhancia-music.com/neova/), but no notes.
I've been able to assign its CCs to various synth params on the deluge, but so far no luck for the pitchbend messages.
The way I understand it, pitchbend messages are automatically learned when a synth track learns to reply to some midi notes on some channel (ie. if I assign a synth track to respond to notes on MIDI channel 1, then it will also respond to pitchbend messages on that same channel. Did I understand that correctly?)

Also I can't set my controller to send some CC instead of pitchbend messages.

Post edited by Ywen on

Comments

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

If you learn to a synth with a different MIDI controller, that can send MIDI channel as the pitch bend, that should allow the pitch bend to work.
    If you don’t have another MIDI controller you can use a DAW or the deluge itself by connecting its MIDI output to its input. Then use a MIDI clip with the same channel to learn the synth mapping.

You mean that the Deluge can learn the channel to assign to a track by only sending a pitchbend message? I tried that (holding Learn + audition pad and sending a pitchbend message from my controller), that didn't work...

I meant using a different controller (same channel) that can send note data. You need to send MIDI notes in order to learn to the synth, including the pitch bend.

edited April 2021

Yes, I thought of that but that's not as straightforward (though I didn't think of using the Deluge itself in a MIDI feedback loop to do that), esp. if I need to redo that for several projects. That's why I wanted to know if pitchbend was assignable on its own, or if a channel could be assigned to a synth without automatic learn.

Post edited by Ywen on

If you don’t plan on using a second MIDI controller I’d recommend setting up templates with the pitch bend mapped then.

edited April 2021

Are the MIDI channel assignments recorded at the clip level, separately from the patch (so I can change the patch after loading my template without having to re-assign)?

Post edited by Ywen on

Yes, that’s correct. Once learned, you can change the preset or even change to a MIDI clip and the MIDI assignment to the clip will remain.

edited April 2021

Perfect! Thanks :)
    Though in that case it would be good if the Deluge was able to learn MIDI channels based on pitchbend messages too, not just notes, since it treats notes and pitchbends in this grouped fashion.

Post edited by Ywen on

No prob 👍🏼