β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Re-learn stutter to gold knob?

gtridrgtridr Beta Tester Posts: 12
edited April 2021 in General Discussion

Hey, y'all, this isn't urgent but I noticed a small edge case that could become problematic.

Because all of the gold knobs can be reassigned to control any parameter on the grid, it would be possible for a user to overwrite the stutter effect. Since stutter is a global effect without a grid shortcut, aforementioned user would then be unable to reassign stutter to a gold knob, effectively breaking stutter functionality unless they were to either create a new song or edit the raw XML of that song file.

I believe there would be a few possible fixes:
1. give stutter a shortcut on the grid (i know, i know, new overlay, etc.)
2. maybe a stutter item in the nested menus? (not sure how this would behave, needs fleshing out)
3. lock out the stutter control knob such that it can't be remapped (one less custom knob, introduces inconsistency in parameter knob behaviour)
4. introduce new workflow to reset selected knob to default parameter, as listed on the panel (maybe shift-learn-click?)

I have tested this in a blank song & indeed was unable to restore stutter functionality. If nothing else, consider this a word of caution. I wouldn't want anyone to have to delete an entire song over this :worried:

Thanks for reading! lemme know what y'all think, or if there's a better place for this thread

Post edited by gtridr on

Comments

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277

Good thinking.
    In my opinion option 2 is the way to go, though it won't be up to us to decide about that.

I would be absolutely stoked if the synthstrom team were to implement #4, honestly; especially given I've seen several users on youtube & such quickly assign stuff to a knob just to facilitate tactile control for performance, or more intuitive sound design workflows. A quick way to revert to the default mapping on a per-knob basis would be killer. (this isn't a feature request, I promise!!!)

As for something in the menus, I think both would work in tandem. Menu Item (or similar, something to provide a parameter "source" to "learn" back to a knob) would still be required if one wanted to assign stutter to, say, custom2.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited April 2021

Im pretty sure you can revert this by editing the song xml where everything is saved, since this is a small edge case...

Post edited by volsteh on

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

I know, just figured it'd be a good thread topic either way. :smile:

As I said, I'm not by any means demanding the dev team immediately address this. I simply wasn't able to find any mention of this on the forums or anywhere else. Maybe it'll help someone down the line. Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

There is one more thing I think you cant edit, the global (song level) delay sync, but I think its also doable trough editing the song xml.

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

Good catch, thanks for helping to document this!