β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Suggestion: forum category "adopt a track"

HeptagenHeptagen Posts: 277
edited April 2021 in General Discussion

I think we all have a lot of 4-bar-loops laying around on our sd cards, gathering dust because we don't feel the vibe anymore or are just too lazy to finish them.

How would you feel about a forum category, where you upload your unfinished projects for adoption and see what others do with it?

Since the deluge has a feature where you can save your track in a separate folder including all used samples and there are no vst plugins or other stuff that not everybody of the community has on their system, this should work great, compatibility wise.

You could tag your post like this:

"[Ambient] [LoFi] [80bpm] [16 bars] I sampled my favorite table saw"
or
"[IDM] [150bpm] [arranged] Could use some details, maybe vocals?"

I know that this forum is not that crowded yet and the chance of a track actually getting adopted and a nice conversation starting from there are quite limited (judging from the scarce feedback on the "user songs"-category).

On the other hand it already has become way livelier than before and that gives me hope. Who knows? Maybe people can find their musical partner here. After all, Daft Punk have left quite a gap to fill... :wink:

Post edited by Heptagen on

Best Answer

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    Answer βœ“

I'll keep an eye on this. Yes, the forum is starting to gain more momentum... and this is a cool idea, we did have a similar category earlier to encourage remixing between users but it never really got used. If people are keen on us reinstating something like this again they should comment here. I'm also currently thinking through remixing shows for the TV station as well.

Answers

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

This is a great idea +1

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Cool idea indeed :)

~ Distinguished Delugate α••( β—Ž_β—Ž)α•—

edited April 2021

One thing to note about a collected song, when loading the song on the other deluge, it will create all the original folders where the samples lived in the first deluge and save them there. So after opening and saving a few collected songs you get a bunch of new folders with a few samples in it all over your sd card. Not sure what happens with samples you already have, e.g. from the factory kits, do they get overwritten? This might not be ideal.

Someone with coding experience could write a script that reads the song .xml file (the collected one) and replaces the sample paths to a new path (this should be done before sending/uploading the song). For example "Samples/Multisamples/Synths/Bass/Dry" to "Samples/Imported Songs/Song Name". So if you load a bunch of collected songs from others, all the samples are contained in that folder under "Samples/Imported Songs/Song Name" so you keep your Samples folder clean.

This is just an idea and not sure if viable, just thinking out loud...

Post edited by volsteh on

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@volsteh said:
    One thing to note about a collected song, when loading the song on the other deluge, it will create all the original folders where the samples lived in the first deluge and save them there. So after opening and saving a few collected songs you get a bunch of new folders with a few samples in it all over your sd card. Not sure what happens with samples you already have, e.g. from the factory kits, do they get overwritten? This might not be ideal.

Someone with coding experience could write a script that reads the song .xml file (the collected one) and replaces the sample paths to a new path (this should be done before sending/uploading the song). For example "Samples/Multisamples/Synths/Bass/Dry" to "Samples/Imported Songs/Song Name". So if you load a bunch of collected songs from others, all the samples are contained in that folder under "Samples/Imported Songs/Song Name" so you keep your Samples folder clean.

Samples one already has in the respective location, do not get overwritten :) The collect-save procedure is 'smart' like that.

~ Distinguished Delugate α••( β—Ž_β—Ž)α•—

@Icoustik said:

@volsteh said:

Samples one already has in the respective location, do not get overwritten :) The collect-save procedure is 'smart' like that.

Oh, thanks, good to know, I was thinking to make a test.

PixelKickerPixelKicker United KingdomPosts: 60

I think this is a great idea, I have tons of stuff I don't think I am going to get to and it would be interesting to see what other people come up with.

Alder_DiceAlder_Dice UKBeta Tester Posts: 128

I'm totally up for this! The end results would make for a neat little compilation too.

I don't visit this forum as often as I ought to, especially during the northern hemisphere's summer months, but when I do I see a handful of people trying to grow a community (among many others who just want an audience for their music). I think having something we could all collaborate on, without making too much extra work for Ian and co, would be a good community catalyst.

Even without a new forum category, I'm up for this.

percussijanpercussijan GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 50

Great idea!! IΒ΄m in

@Heptagen said:
    I know that this forum is not that crowded yet and the chance of a track actually getting adopted and a nice conversation starting from there are quite limited (judging from the scarce feedback on the "user songs"-category).

Aside from adopting tracks idea, is there something simple each of us can do about the scarcity of feedback?

For example, I aim to give feedback on three people's music for every release I share. I also give preference to users who take time to give feedback, over ones that post-and-run.

I'm definitely not suggesting any rules, but a shared ethos of lending your ears to folk who do the same for others might benefit the community.

tonyrickerbytonyrickerby south ,pennines ukBeta Tester Posts: 10

It would be great if this happened.
    I have lots of starting point patterns that were abandoned that I could contribute.

Okay how do we get this started then?

I don't think we need to take up Synthstrom staff's valuable time with this. How about we agree on some shared cloud space to put orphaned tracks and just get going?

@Alder_Dice said:
    Okay how do we get this started then?

I don't think we need to take up Synthstrom staff's valuable time with this. How about we agree on some shared cloud space to put orphaned tracks and just get going?

Maybe the Delugist site created by @drbourbon is a good candidate for this?

https://delugist.neuma.studio/

drbourbondrbourbon ItalyBeta Tester Posts: 55

@Alder_Dice said:

Maybe the Delugist site created by @drbourbon is a good candidate for this?

I'd love to see delugist used for that..