Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

DELUGE MUSIC ON SOUNDCLOUD

workergrayworkergray Gulfport, FloridaBeta Tester Posts: 222

For some of us, Soundcloud is our only media host, and since those songs can't be directly linked to spotify, they cannot be added to some popular playlists. I wanted to start a discussion to include soundcloud links of people making music with the deluge as their primary (or secondary) instrument of choice.
I would like to keep the discussion limited to individual tracks with focused critiques and/or praise of those individual tracks. This means say something nice or give helpful direction on improving the sound quality. This is not about critiqueing artistic expression, nor is it about politics--- it's about raising the bar on the art we produce.
Of course, I am not a moderator and I have no power to enforce anything-- these are just my hopes moving forward.

Comments

I'll start things off I guess. Here's a little ditty I made for a challenge on fb. The challenge was "2 minutes of hate" pertaining to the concept in the novel "1984" where the people were made to watch images of the enemy and openly express their hatred for them.
    THUS-- my song is called 120 seconds, and that's how long it lasts. I did all of it on the deluge.

fenixsongfenixsong United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 45

Sounds great! Punching hard! I'm going to check this out more soon.
    I agree Soundcloud works though I moved away from it to try Bandcamp... I'm not sure one is better than the other I just wanted to try some Bandcamp. Maybe I'll get back into Soundcloud. I'll check back on both and see how they are doing.

I moved away from it to try Bandcamp..<

screw it! put a bandcamp link here! the more the merrier.
    My only problem with bandcamp is I can't seem to find the volume on their player.

fenixsongfenixsong United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 45
    edited March 2021

Will do, but I actually re-listened to my Soundcloud - and I had some Deluge stuff on it. Haha...
    Here's some tracks:

I did these when I got my Summit but they are really Deluge driven. Some cool tones!

Post edited by fenixsong on
    porkloinporkloin Fairbanks, Alaska, USABeta Tester Posts: 10

The first of (hopefully) many songs on Deluge :smile:

I picture Arnold as the terminator driving a ferari in mirrored shades to that song, Fenix. I love the retro vibe.

hey porkloin! that was really nice! very melodic --triphop? i'll call it triphop. i like it.

PercivalePercivale SingaporeBeta Tester Posts: 32

@workergray said:

I moved away from it to try Bandcamp..<

screw it! put a bandcamp link here! the more the merrier.
    My only problem with bandcamp is I can't seem to find the volume on their player.

Yes no volume control is a mega pain.

joeshjoesh BrusselsPosts: 67
    edited April 2021

Wow, nice to hear everyone's music. I've used Soundcloud for years as a sort of sketchbook. I've made my living playing saxophone and teaching music for years, but what I love most is just experimenting with sounds to make music. I've been a big fan of Supercollider, which I've used for years. But recently, to try a develop a solo project, I bought myself a Deluge, which I link up with other things - including recording my saxes, or triggering a few modular bits, etc. Here's a sketch where the Deluge does most of the musical sounds, but also triggers a Pittsburgh Modular SV1b (it's the gritty notes that appear from time to time).

You might find some extra sounds in the mix if you plug in some headphones.

Sorry if it's a bit long, but as I said it (and all the other stuff of mine on Soundcloud) are just sketches, and having plenty of fun.

Post edited by joesh on
    RoyceRoyce TexasPosts: 1

Just a quick jam I made this morning. 😁

MysticShrineMysticShrine Jacksonville FLPosts: 1

Hey everyone! I'm new here, and wanted to say hello/ share my first release from an upcoming EP crafted primarily on the Deluge. This song also features my Moog Subsequent 37, a guitar loop, and some ethereal vocal samples.

@joesh said:
    Sorry if it's a bit long, but as I said it (and all the other stuff of mine on Soundcloud) are just sketches, and having plenty of fun.

That was a crazy ride! I like those dissonant chords splashed about! That mechanistic beat was very intriguing! good stuff!

edited April 2021

@Royce said:
    Just a quick jam I made this morning. 😁

it has a 80's retro vibe to it.

Post edited by workergray on

@workergray said:
    That was a crazy ride! I like those dissonant chords splashed about! That mechanistic beat was very intriguing! good stuff!

Thanks, it's fun to work on (the Deluge), easier that writing programs on my computer.

It looks like this thread is closed, but I can still comment.

Indeed, maybe Ian can tell us where it's been moved to?

Thanks in advance.

I don't even know where it's moved TO. Wherever it is I can get to it by clicking the closed one

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614

@workergray said:
    I don't even know where it's moved TO. Wherever it is I can get to it by clicking the closed one

sorry for any confusion, its moved to "discussion of the week", when the week is up, soon, it will go back to the old location, but yes, it can still be accessed from that location

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

Almost all my tracks on SoundCloud use the Deluge - it's such a great sketch pad. Here's one where I use sidechain to modulate arp speed:

edited April 2021

Here's another try with the Deluge, as @Affectionate_Bee_781 says, it's a great sketch pad. I guess this piece still needs some work, but it's more or less that.

Headphones might be useful!

Post edited by joesh on

@joesh I dig the vibe of that one! Are you using the sidechain to make that kick stand out?

SakuneraSakunera AustraliaPosts: 6

@Affectionate_Bee_781 said:
    Almost all my tracks on SoundCloud use the Deluge - it's such a great sketch pad. Here's one where I use sidechain to modulate arp speed:

I forget you can choose where the sidechain goes other than the compressor. Certainly inspired me to go give this sort of thing a crack. Really love the texture and feeling this track takes you through.

edited April 2021

@Affectionate_Bee_781 said:
    @joesh I dig the vibe of that one! Are you using the sidechain to make that kick stand out?

Firstly, thanks for your kind words.

Secondly, no laughing, but I haven't started to understand how to use the sidechain yet. The drums/glitchy beats are mostly one second of a sine wave, sampled then cut up, reshaped and re-pitched - ex: the kick drum sound is 1 second of part of a sine wave (as mentioned) lowered in pitch. It's something I used to do a lot in Supercollider, but I thought I'd try it on the Deluge (I got mine a couple weeks ago).

I'm not sure if it's well explained, so if you want a longer explanation I can explain in more detail.

BTW, If anyone can clearly tell me how I use the sidechain, I'd be most grateful. Maybe there's a good demo out there?

Post edited by joesh on

That "Break of Dawn" is really nice! relaxing.

@joesh Check out this video:

Basically, the sidechain is an extra envelope. It gets triggered when you want it to by setting the sidechain parameter on a sample (usually a kick drum, although you can set it to anything.. the trigs can even be silent, conditional, etc.). And then sidechain is a modulation source in the Deluge matrix.. so you can assign it to any modulation destination. Each synth/sample can have its own envelope parameters.

@Sakunera thanks for saying so! :)

edited April 2021

Brilliant, thanks ... I'm watching now, experiment later.

Post edited by joesh on
    sckdrwrsckdrwr Bay Area, California, USAPosts: 9
    edited April 2021

Been trying to really get used to using the Deluge as a central brain for other gear and I recently finished an EP where I midi sequenced my Digitone, Model:Cycles, and Organelle M and processed some of the sounds through a Hologram Microcosm and recorded everything into the Deluge's arranger. It's honestly staggering to me how far you can get with the Deluge without ever having to touch a computer.

Here's the EP, I hope some of you give it a listen and enjoy! You can find the whole EP here.

Post edited by sckdrwr on

@sckdrwr said:
    It's honestly staggering to me how far you can get with the Deluge without ever having to touch a computer.

Firstly, really like your piece, sounds great. Like you, I'm also enjoying 'not' using the computer. Furthermore, it's nice to see/hear all these interesting examples ... and get to see who's on Soundcloud too!

sckdrwrsckdrwr Bay Area, California, USAPosts: 9

@joesh said:

@sckdrwr said:
    It's honestly staggering to me how far you can get with the Deluge without ever having to touch a computer.

Firstly, really like your piece, sounds great. Like you, I'm also enjoying 'not' using the computer. Furthermore, it's nice to see/hear all these interesting examples ... and get to see who's on Soundcloud too!

Yeah, this thread has been super cool for seeing what other people are doing with their Deluges. Some gear has a kind of specific genre that's largely attached to it but Deluge users seem to be all over the place. I checked out your Warhol Poems song you posted up above and I'm into it. I like me some good ambient bleeps and bloops.

edited April 2021

@sckdrwr said: I like me some good ambient bleeps and bloops.

Yes, I love plenty of bleeps and bloops! Actually, I think it might be a throwback to my childhood (from an English TV program we all watched).

Post edited by joesh on