Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

limited midi implementation? Rip the bandaid off if it can’t happen.

I am stoked for all the features deluge has and all the rad updates, it just strikes me as strange to get Euclidean and reverse sequencing and live looping before we get a midi mappable OSC type. Does anyone have any info on why this is not a thing? Is it impossible because of the way the hardware is structured or has it just not been in the roadmap so far? I’d really like to map the entire synth engine if I could. If I can’t change the osc type it kinda defeats the purpose of using a midi controller because the whole point for me is to be making all adjustments on the external editor. I generally want an external midi controller for making a patch so I’m adjusting every single element of the patch. Holding Shift, remembering which button out of 128 it is, turning select knob can be kinda tedious especially when you want to go back n forth or adjust two things at a time to find the sweet spot.

I also don’t see a chart of what can be mapped and it would be cool to have a reference instead of trial and error of just seeing “can’t” each time it’s not mappable. Is there a mappable perimeters reference anywhere?

My dream would be global midi implementation of course, but for now not being able to control osc type, transpose, LFO sync, LFO shape, ARP sync, ARP octaves, etc.

If it’s a hardware limitation let me know so I can put it to rest in my mind. I’d appreciate any insights or reflections on the subject of midi implementation. Thanks!

Comments

Affectionate_Bee_781Affectionate_Bee_781 United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 112

I don't think there's any hardware limitation here. I don't know of a list of mappable parameters, maybe that's something we could work on as a community?

Synthstrom isn't taking feature requests right now. Their request is that we accept the Dellie as it is and treat updates as gifts :smile:

Ian_JorgensenIan_Jorgensen Wellington, New ZealandPosts: 614
    edited March 2021

nothing to do with hardware. Can't comment further sorry. Will leave this up as perhaps someone could share a list of currently mappable parameters etc.

Post edited by Ian_Jorgensen on
    TeslianCowboyTeslianCowboy United StatesPosts: 12
    KenoubiKenoubi United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 46

My tentative conclusion (see the Parameters tab in my Deluge Synth Parameter Testing spreadsheet; note that I originally got the parameter list from this spreadsheet), at least assuming the parameters that can be learned to the gold knobs are the same as the ones that can be learned via MIDI, is that the parameters can be learned are exactly the same as the ones that can be automated. This excludes all non-numeric (on/off or multiple choice, such as waveform) parameters, as well as certain "special" numeric parameters such as # of unison voices. The list of the latter actually doesn't seem too arbitrary, as they're things that it sort of makes sense the Deluge would need to "reboot" the patch to change, although Unison Detune feels a bit out of place.

I also added a mention of this to my Synth Parameter Testing thread.

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

@Kenoubi said:
    at least assuming the parameters that can be learned to the gold knobs are the same as the ones that can be learned via MIDI, is that the parameters can be learned are exactly the same as the ones that can be automated.

This is my rule of thumb. Though this still doesn't explain why certain parameters are exluded from automation and/or modulation targets. You picked up on Unison Detune but there's also the Distortion parameters. Bit Crush and Decimation you can map to automation and gold knobs, Saturation you can't. There are others too.

Please note this is not a feature request, just an observation. 👀

KenoubiKenoubi United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 46

@neilbaldwin said:

@Kenoubi said:
    at least assuming the parameters that can be learned to the gold knobs are the same as the ones that can be learned via MIDI, is that the parameters can be learned are exactly the same as the ones that can be automated.

This is my rule of thumb. Though this still doesn't explain why certain parameters are exluded from automation and/or modulation targets. You picked up on Unison Detune but there's also the Distortion parameters. Bit Crush and Decimation you can map to automation and gold knobs, Saturation you can't. There are others too.

You're right, Saturation is weird. It also doesn't use the 0-50 scale that practically every other parameter uses.

Most of the other ones that can't be mapped are "global", I think. E.g. the Deluge has only one Reverb effect for the entire unit, not one per instrument, and none of the parameters to Reverb except Amount can be learned. Same with the Sidechain unit.

I was actually surprised while doing this testing to find out how many parameters can be mapped and automated that can't be modulated. I had thought those were also basically the same. I might be able to do some cool stuff with an external LFO coming in on MIDI, and I can definitely at least do my EQ with an external controller that lets me control all 4 EQ parameters with a knob each.

@Kenoubi said:

I was actually surprised while doing this testing to find out how many parameters can be mapped and automated that can't be modulated.

And it seems we're the only two people in the world that is bothered by it 😂

I'm going to change my signature to 'This does not represent a feature request.'

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@neilbaldwin said:

I'm going to change my signature to 'This does not represent a feature request.'

For the record, I'm bothered by it as well :)

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

@Icoustik said:

@neilbaldwin said:

For the record, I'm bothered by it as well :)

Haha yeah sorry man 😂