β€Ί β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge Kit Editor

BolganiBolgani SuomiPosts: 61
edited March 2021 in Delugeator

Added this to here also:

I have made DELUGE KIT EDITOR (v 0.1 Beta), a Windows tool program for creating and editing Deluge kits and storing your sounds.

• display and also edit Kit-files (needs a SD card reader or similar). No audio other than sample preview so of course editing is a bit difficult but possible.
  • create new kits
  • create and organize kit sounds
  • archive individual kit sounds and re-use them in other kits (samples + parameters)

The user interface still looks horrible and the coding is a bit shoddy but it works. πŸ˜ƒ Still needs a better funky name also, like the other tools have. But now I'm looking for some BETA TESTERS to get some options and usage before releasing this to general public. So if interested and you are kinda into kit editing, please send me a PM and I'll send a link to current version. And yeah, Windows only, sorry all you Mac owners.

A preview video with some fat old guy babbling about how this works:

There's a Facebook group for Beta Testing. Join it if interested in helping to get this out and released properly: https://www.facebook.com/groups/478513869989155

Post edited by Bolgani on
Β«1

Comments

Psyl0Psyl0 BelgiumBeta Tester Posts: 8

@Bolgani said:
    I have made DELUGE KIT EDITOR (v 0.1 Beta), a Windows tool program for creating and editing Deluge kits and storing your sounds.

• display and also edit Kit-files (needs a SD card reader or similar). No audio other than sample preview so of course editing is a bit difficult but possible.
    • create new kits
    • create and organize kit sounds
    • archive individual kit sounds and re-use them in other kits (samples + parameters)

The user interface still looks horrible and the coding is a bit shoddy but it works. πŸ˜ƒ Still needs a better funky name also, like the other tools have. But now I'm looking for some BETA TESTERS to get some options and usage before releasing this to general public. So if interested and you are kinda into kit editing, please send me a PM and I'll send a link to current version. And yeah, Windows only, sorry all you Mac owners.

A preview video with some fat old guy babbling about how this works:

Hey looks promising,

Which language have you used?
    Can you plan to share your code? We can eventually think to have a Mac version....
    Depending on the library used and coding.

Happy to help (when I have free time)

Cheers

Which language have you used?
    Can you plan to share your code? We can eventually think to have a Mac version....

Cheers

This is C# + WPF + Xaml + Net Core 3.1 made with Visual Studio 2019. WPF can be bit problematic to port to Mac, but some guys promised to check if they can use the app with some emulator. Let's see how that goes. And eventually I might release the code, when it's in a released state.

bleurghbleurgh Sydney, AustraliaBeta Tester Posts: 26

@Psyl0 said:

Cheers

I’m working on an iOS / macOS solution for kits, synths and songs. Help welcome if you can code in Swift / SwiftUI.

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

This looks great! Have you thought about adding an editor for synth multisamples?

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

edited March 2021

@volsteh said:
    This looks great! Have you thought about adding an editor for synth multisamples?

Maybemaybemaybe :D This project has created a lot of conversion and reading methods and element classes that can be used for digging into other Deluge settings files. But let's get this one finished first :)

Post edited by Bolgani on

UI nearly finished

edited March 2021

Looks good. I would advise against red characters on light grey and gray background as the contrast ratio is low. You can check this site, https://contrast-ratio.com/##fe0808-on-#d7d6d1 , basically you are looking for a orange or preferably green score for best contrast and readability.

Post edited by volsteh on

@volsteh said:
    Looks good. I would advise against red characters on light grey and gray background as the contrast ratio is low. You can check this site, https://contrast-ratio.com/##fe0808-on-#d7d6d1 , basically you are looking for a orange or preferably green score for best contrast and readability.

Yeah, I know, you are right. Had the idea that I wanted it to kind of imitate Deluge visually, but it proved out to be pretty hard. The numbers are supposed to be like in the display but doesn't really work out too well, sometimes it's too dark and sometimes with light orange it is too... peachy. :D And so on an so on. Trying to find a nice color combination.

Contrast ratio 8.83. I think this will do and hopefully someone with professional graphics design expertise will take over the visuals at some point. :D

edited March 2021

That's very readable. The only thing I see (or not see) is the check on the box item.

Just of curiosity, does the interface supports image assets, as for sliders, buttons etc.?
    Btw, I work in graphic design but have no experience in programming, and Im willing to help if I can.

You are actually already helping a lot, thanks. :)

Oh, yes, the checkbox, must fix that.

And yes, the interface supports image assets and is actually very flexible. You can style different common controls (like the text box or drop down selector), both layout and appearance and the for example a control background can be a solid color or a gradient fill or an image that you can tile or strech. And you can create your own controls too, of course.

For example In this app the slider backgrounds are actually images from my Deluge's knob meters that are put to standard progressbar control's backgrounds and then the progressbar is connected to a slider control that's on top of the progressbar to create an illusion that you can "pull" the value up and down. And this is all wrapped to a custom control that has a header text and min and max values for the slider and a label that displays the slider value, so it's pretty easy to copy in the interface and tie to different values from the kit. All the common value types (checkbox, value list, numeric data) have their own controls so it's pretty easy now to change the layout when the groundwork has been done with the controls.

edited March 2021

That's great. Im may do a mockup of the interface (got time) so if you are satisfied with the outcome you can implement it in the design. Just another question about the sliders, is it possible, for sliders who go from 0 to 50 and from 0 to -50, to make the default position 0 and also reflect this with the background graphic?

Or is the "range ad" checkbox that functionality?

Brandon_FalloutBrandon_Fallout USABeta Tester Posts: 3

Hi @Bolgani,
    Awesome work on that editor. What are your plans for release? Do you plan on making the source code available? Last but not least, would you mind sending me a link for the beta? I'm not a fan of Facebook so I wont be able to join that group.

Thanks!

@volsteh said:
    That's great. Im may do a mockup of the interface (got time) so if you are satisfied with the outcome you can implement it in the design. Just another question about the sliders, is it possible, for sliders who go from 0 to 50 and from 0 to -50, to make the default position 0 and also reflect this with the background graphic?

Or is the "range ad" checkbox that functionality?

That would be amazing! (Though I have the final word and blabla all that and, hmh, I'm sometimes a tough customer though my own skills are limited :D ). The default positions for different sliders (the ones they are with new kit) are actually the ones from a blank Deluge kit. For example volume is 3/4 up and envelope settings are what they are and so on. Nearly all values are 0-50, Speed and transpose and pan are, erm -48 - 48, -96 - 96 and -32 -32. and some others.

BTW, I have no idea what "range ad" really does. :/ It was in the settings so I added it there.

@Brandon_Fallout said:
    Hi @Bolgani,
    Awesome work on that editor. What are your plans for release? Do you plan on making the source code available? Last but not least, would you mind sending me a link for the beta? I'm not a fan of Facebook so I wont be able to join that group.

Thanks!

Planning to release soon, some life happened and I also wanted to make some music with Deluge instead of just coding with Deluge. :D Sent you a PM with beta link.

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioBeta Tester Posts: 123

Cool! Love to see more third party Deluge helpers.

nomiliannomilian BerlinBeta Tester Posts: 5

Hola Bolgani, I would also like to test it, because it could become quite handy for kit management.
    Thank you very much in advance!

zt5umzt5um New ZealandBeta Tester Posts: 5

Hey @Bolgani
    Cheers for this, this makes organization much easier.

I've installed and am testing v.0.8
    Creating a New kit
    Adding samples
    Save as new

Then with or without 'Save sub folder' the program saves the kit and creates copys of my samples.
    This makes sense if bringing samples to the Deluge root from your computer, but not if you're making kits from samples already on the Deluge card.

Another issue is that the folder it creates for the imported samples is in the Deluge Root, I'm wanting to make 50 kits, but by doing so my Deluge Root file is going to be very messy.
    The alternative is to save the kit to KITS not the root, but this then creates a new KITS folder inside the default KITS folder, which is also a bit messy.

What would be ideal, two fold, one being easier than the other :)
    1. When using the 'save as new' function, the program looks for KITS and puts the kit .xml file there. Sample wise, it Looks for the SAMPLES folder and puts the new batch of samples there (copies)
    2. With sample management it would be ideal if it could map the used samples to their original location on the Deluge to eliminate copies of the same sample on the Deluge, however I know this is harder to do.

Cheers

@zt5um , thanks for testing.

Hmm, yes, you are right. Checked this out and it works like this

• If you use Save As New the samples get always copied to kit-specific folder, both from Samples folder and outside Deluge root
    • If you use Overwrite (with existing, saved kit) then the samples in Samples folder don't get copied to kit folder, only the samples for new sounds from outside the Deluge root

There is a point to this, but it's somehow inconsistent. Having all the samples in the same folder is very good sample-management-wise and they are copies and basically disk space is pretty cheap and there's a lot of it, but maybe that is not what you want always. Don't know really but maybe it should always work the same and maybe this behaviour could be selectable as a setting (which we don't yet have). Don't want to add a huge number of buttons with slighly different functionality.... Hmm.

But the program works both in the way you described in 1 and 2. Root folder is used with Save as New (and Move) as the selected folder since Deluge needs both Kits and Samples folders and this way it's much easier to create your new kits to some folder on your computer and later transfer them to Deluge card. Sample management is another thing, yeah, been thinking about that also and it's not that hard to implement, but let's get this first version out of the door first.

BUT: the sample folder created for the kit should NOT be in Deluge root folder, it should be Samples-folder. Did it really create the folder to root?? If this somehow happened, it is a bug. I just tested this out and at least for me the folder IS created under Samples folder. Oh, and there's a textbox on top with the text SAVE SUB FOLDER. Use this to add another folder under Samples, forΒ΄example if you enter "AllMyTestKits" there, then the samples for MyTestKit are found in Samples\AllMyTestKits\MyTestKit. Or "AllMyTestKits\FirstTests" -> Samples\AllMyTestKits\FirstTests\MyTestKit. And so on. :)

Hey @Bolgani
    Can you please share how to calculate or convert value numbers from the patch .xml to decimal numbers and back? I'm trying to batch change osc1 volume to lots of synth patches and the value stated in the .xml is this: oscAVolume="0xA8F5C288"

@volsteh said:
    Hey @Bolgani
    Can you please share how to calculate or convert value numbers from the patch .xml to decimal numbers and back? I'm trying to batch change osc1 volume to lots of synth patches and the value stated in the .xml is this: oscAVolume="0xA8F5C288"

It's a rather horrible process. :# To quote a document available here... somewhere, probably in the 'Third party software'-thread:

"The most common format is fixh, which means β€œfixed point hexadecimal”. The value starts with β€œ0x” and is followed by 8 hexadecimal digits. The lowest possible value is β€œnegative zero”, or 0x80000000 (or -2147483648, the middle value is 0x00000000, or β€œactual zero”, and the highest possible value is 0x7FFFFFFF, which corresponds to 2147483647."

So you basically have to first convert the hexadecimal value to a number between -2147483648 - 2147483647 and then scale it to number corresponding to range 0 - 50. I'm saying "basically" because it took some work to get that one working.

But 0xA8F5C288 would be 8.

And we are almost ready for release.

Here is the link to the current Delugeator (like it is called nowadays) manual where you can see what it does:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WMLCxavkTbJCeRtAZ_u3pfXVqEZb_1QX/view?usp=sharing

@Bolgani said:

@volsteh said:
    Hey @Bolgani

It's a rather horrible process. :# To quote a document available here... somewhere, probably in the 'Third party software'-thread:

"The most common format is fixh, which means β€œfixed point hexadecimal”. The value starts with β€œ0x” and is followed by 8 hexadecimal digits. The lowest possible value is β€œnegative zero”, or 0x80000000 (or -2147483648, the middle value is 0x00000000, or β€œactual zero”, and the highest possible value is 0x7FFFFFFF, which corresponds to 2147483647."

So you basically have to first convert the hexadecimal value to a number between -2147483648 - 2147483647 and then scale it to number corresponding to range 0 - 50. I'm saying "basically" because it took some work to get that one working.

But 0xA8F5C288 would be 8.

Oh wow, thanks. I guess Ill just check the desired value in a known patch and use that.

JimantronicJimantronic United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 14

@Bolgani said:

Here is the link to the current Delugeator (like it is called nowadays) manual where you can see what it does:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WMLCxavkTbJCeRtAZ_u3pfXVqEZb_1QX/view?usp=sharing

Looks good :) Not sure what wieving is though?

This app is intended for:
    β€’ wieving the existing kits

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

@Bolgani said:

Love to see the progress on this. Great project!

Can I add a suggestion which would be incredible if you implemented it: as well as creating a new kit sound by loading a sample file, also have the ability to load Synth patches into a kit.

Obviously you won't be able to preview the sounds in the editor but I'm working on my own tool to simply do that one function (and having to learn Python GUI programming at the same time!) but you already have the tool and the structure in place to make this easy addition. It is totally possible to do, my old command-line version of my tool is here:

https://github.com/neilbaldwin/skb

@Jimantronic said:

@Bolgani said:

Looks good :) Not sure what wieving is though?

This app is intended for:
    β€’ wieving the existing kits

It's there mainly to indicate that I can't spell :D

@neilbaldwin said:

Can I add a suggestion which would be incredible if you implemented it: as well as creating a new kit sound by loading a sample file, also have the ability to load Synth patches into a kit.

Obviously you won't be able to preview the sounds in the editor but I'm working on my own tool to simply do that one function (and having to learn Python GUI programming at the same time!) but you already have the tool and the structure in place to make this easy addition. It is totally possible to do, my old command-line version of my tool is here:

Yeah, synths are definately coming in a future release, shouldn't be too hard to implement, have been looking into that. And also multisample synths. But now trying to get the just-kit-with-samples -version out first. :)

neilbaldwinneilbaldwin UKBeta Tester Posts: 143

@Bolgani said:

@neilbaldwin said:

Yeah, synths are definately coming in a future release, shouldn't be too hard to implement, have been looking into that. And also multisample synths. But now trying to get the just-kit-with-samples -version out first. :)

Awesome stuff.

Ok, AAANNND IT'S OUT!!!

DELUGEATOR 1.0

Get it here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1F8inZ25Ye_BGdMAzKT6N9nUBnHDQS2cd/view?usp=sharing

Read the manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WMLCxavkTbJCeRtAZ_u3pfXVqEZb_1QX/view?usp=sharing

Watch the video:

No t-shirts available. :| :D

Tell me what you think and if you find any bugs and stuff. Have fun!

JimantronicJimantronic United KingdomBeta Tester Posts: 14

Good stuff! looking forward to the Synth patch editor :)

Β«1