Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Dim and flashing recording status

In the manual the following recording status are explained for audio tracks

• red and flashing
  • Magenta and flashing
  • Solid and dim

But after I record some Audio I see dim and flashing with both red and magenta for the audio tracks recorded. What does this mean?

Further more I can’t use the loop command to layer over those audio tracks. Why not? Or is there something I’m missing?

Steps to reproduce

Make a couple tracks
Synth track
Audio track.

Use the looping functionality to record some audio, and then use the looping functionality to record an overdub.

Then record some synth notes.

Now check the recording status of all tracks.

Here’s a picture (I couldn’t attach video) the bottom two are audio tracks and you can see the lights are dimmed. They are flashing as well

Tagged:

Comments

satshabadsatshabad Posts: 20

Correction, the bottom track is empty audio clip to demonstrate the different between bright magenta and dim magenta. The 2 second from bottom are audio clips with content

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

Just to clarify, each added layer/overdub will be on its own new audio clip.

Audio clips by default will be armed with magenta color in song mode. This means that when you use the loop function, the new resulting audio clip will be using a new track and allow both layers or clips to play at once.

If you change it to red flashing, the new layers/clips from looping will exist on the same audio track, therefore muting the first clip once the new loop closes and begins playback.

Synth clips are flashing red because they don’t have the magenta option.

Hope this helps!

And the dimmer magenta is because there is content in the clip. Bright magenta is for empty clips.

Thanks that’s very helpful. So can you loop from a dim magenta flashing track? It doesn’t seem like it. I hit the loop button on my pedal and it starts the deluge in record mode but no new track is made.

Yes, you can loop from dim magenta or red.
    For the loop pedal function to create a new track, you need to press it while the Deluge is playing. Or you can create a blank audio clip first.

Hmm, I couldn't get that working... Should I report a bug?

I think not likely a bug because it all seems to be functioning on my end.
    You may be missing a step or something.
    Try entering and exiting the audio clip you’re looping from to make it the focus, so it’s not looping from another clip instead. Then press play then loop pedal and see if that works.

Perhaps a video would help show me what you’re doing.

@Too_Mere said:
    Try entering and exiting the audio clip you’re looping from to make it the focus, so it’s not looping from another clip instead. Then press play then loop pedal and see if that works.

YUP! That did the trick!

I didn't know that that one the tracks was "in focus", I guess I wasn't sure how the loop command knew which track to overdub from.

The relevant section of the manual is

Create an overdub from the ‘original’

last clip / overdub that was recorded.
    This will overdub in a clip directly
    below If playback is active but no
    recording in progress. If you wish to
    manually select which clip the overdub
    will be created from, hold down one of
    its main 16 pads in song view and
    then send the LOOP command.

But I didn't "overdub" or "record" on my synth track.. just punched in some notes. I guess that brings it into focus.

So summarizing what I learned:

• The dim flashing colors means there's content in the clip.
    • When you hit loop / layer, it will use the "in focus" track as the track to duplicate.
    • Tracks become in focus by being the last to have some activity like punching in notes or recording.
    • If there are no empty audio tracks you need to be in playback mode to use loop / layer, you can't start it from standstill

Sounds like you’ve got it! 👍🏼

Thank you very much for your help (on this question and my other one!)

My pleasure :-)