β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Stupidest question

robrainrobrain CanadaBeta Tester Posts: 8

Are the YouTubers who say duh-luge correct? I've always said "Dell-yuge" since I'm assuming it's an English word. Am I wrong? Life will go on if I don't get an answer. I just don't want to look stupid in front of the cool kids when I'm raving about the Dell-yuge.

Comments

cnmdcnmd AustraliaPosts: 4
    edited January 2021

Listen to the first 10 sec of this tutorial, from the creator himself:

Post edited by cnmd on

Cheers @cnmd . Perfect.

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247

It's French. So say it however you want if you're a native English speaker. πŸ˜‚
    I've heard a few ways:
    Duh luge
    Day luge
    Del luge
    Del uge
    And my favourite.. .
    Duh luger from a Swiss German. It does make sense if you pronounce it in German. ☺️
    But say it however you want and never take pronunciation tips from kiwis. πŸ˜‚

SolejkushaoSolejkushao MarseilleBeta Tester Posts: 38

For what it's worth, here's how the original word sounds in French: https://mapper.nohost.me/nuage/s/CRn3jnEZQtwngDz
    :)

@MatthewGeorge said:
    It's French. So say it however you want if you're a native English speaker. πŸ˜‚

I don't see why you say it's French. Maybe the etymology of the word "deluge" is French, but it's an English word now as well. In the same way that French people say my name as "Roh Bearrr" as opposed to "Robert" (with a hard T), we don't normally go all Francophone on words from French that have become part of the language.

The company's based in New Zealand so I could go for Maori or English. Is there some French involvement that I don't know about? I need to know :) .