Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

USB Midi Not Working

dartlaerdartlaer USABeta Tester Posts: 4

Hello all. I'm having a weird issue with using external midi devices with my deluge via USB. I've tired too keyboard and a foot controller with a few different cables. The deluge will power all three, but doesn't seem to detect any as a midi device - the "midi" flash when you power in isn't showing up. Used to work perfectly, for a long time my default mobile setup was a keystep powered by and controlling the deluge. Did it all the time. I just upgraded to the latest firmware update and it didn't fix the issue. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Comments

Zylone69Zylone69 GermanyPosts: 4

I'm running on firmware 3.1.4, and i won't get a "midi" flashing message as well.
    BUT it's working :#
    My Arturia Keystep is working fine as a keyboard via USB. My Novation SL MK3 not, but i think
    thats depends on Novation. Maybe i check another USB adapter.

ZenNynjaZenNynja Osaka, JapanPosts: 6
    edited December 2020

I am having this same issue. My keystep 37 was working perfectly for days without issue. Now all of a sudden, the deluge will power it (with adapter), but no midi. Please help! I had extra adapters and was able to make sure everything else was working. I changed the USB adapter. I even tested the keystep with my computer to make sure it was outputting midi signals.

Post edited by ZenNynja on
    PhJPhJ near BrusselsPosts: 9
    edited December 2020

I have an old novation remote25 I tried to connect through USB, but I couldn't get it to work so far.
    At some point, I could play a C, but no other notes.
    I saw 'Deta(ch)' when powering it off, nothing when powering it on.

Post edited by PhJ on
    PhJPhJ near BrusselsPosts: 9

(for the record, I added batteries & am using it with a midi cable, that works fine)

XianburkeXianburke Beta Tester Posts: 2
    edited January 2021

I have a very similar problem. Version 3.1.4. I hooked up midi cords for my Arturia Keystep (out to Deluge in) and for my Deepmind 12d (in from Deluge out). It all worked great. I decided to switch to USB due to adding an Arturia Beatstep (usb only). I bought a 9v (negative pole) power adapter for the Deluge which powers the deluge fine. I also bought a powered usb hub and connected all devices to it. I powered up all devices before the Deluge. I power up the Deluge and the display goes straight to ‘0’. No midi info whatsoever. I select the midi button and the Deluge controls the Deepmind. But when i press the synth button and try to learn the Keystep or Beatstep, nothing happens. Essentially only the usb midi out functions, usb midi in does not work.
    For testing, i also tried plugging the Keystep directly into the Deluge via usb. Powering up the Deluge the screen went straight to ‘0’ and the Keystep cannot be learned.

I’m completely at a loss. Please help!

Post edited by Xianburke on
    XianburkeXianburke Beta Tester Posts: 2

OK, the mystery has been solved. There's probably a bit of guidance that could be added to the Interwebs (documentation, YouTube, etc) somewhere.
    1. The 'midi' or 'hub' flash on the Deluge screen only shows up if the Deluge is already turned on. If I add a device while the Deluge is on, then the display flashes accordingly.
    2. I made a stupid mistake on my Keystep. I used a USB power cord, not a USB power+data cord. OOPS. Plugging the Keystep directly into the Deluge via USB power+data cord worked!
    3. I have a powered 7 port hub (Ports 1-7) with an 8th port (Port 0) using the connected USB cord. I plugged the USB cord into an adapter then into the Deluge. The Deluge flashed 'hub'. PROGRESS.
    4. Still only one device (Deepmind) worked. I figured out that it is because the Deepmind was plugged into Port 1 on the USB hub while the Beatstep and Keystep were in Ports 6 & 7. When I relocated the Keystep and Beatstep into Ports 2 & 3 on the USB hub, everything came alive! So, the lesson here is that only Ports 0-3 on the USB hub are actually seen by the Deluge.

I NOW HAVE A WORKING USB MIDI SYSTEM!

I hope this helps others.

BunBun GBPosts: 1

Thanks Xianburke but this wasn’t the solution for me - I’m using the USB cable that came with the keystep (which worked fine before) and have also ordered and tried several different cables / USB adapters / keyboards to no avail. MIDI through the DIN sockets working fine, USB powers up but doesn’t want to play / learn anything still. I’m on 3.14.

IkloosharIklooshar Uk norfolkBeta Tester Posts: 10

Hi I have just purchased a Deluge and tried to set up a midi keyboard to play the synths. I have used a power cable for the Deluge and tried connecting a powered Arturia Keystep. I tried using midi cables and no luck, I tried using a usb cable with a converter no luck, I changed to many different cables which I know work with other gear. Each time I turned the Deluge off and powered on with the correct cables and then I tried adding the cables but nothing seems to work. Is there a setting that I might have set to make this not possible? Be grateful for any advice.

IkloosharIklooshar Uk norfolkBeta Tester Posts: 10

Ooops just realised that I need to use the learn button - so all sorted thanks

mchestmchest wellingtonPosts: 3

some are still having midi not working issues @Bun @PhJ @dartlaer
    did you solve? any help appreciated. Using 3.1.4
    http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/3373/midi-keyboard-not-working-with-deluge#latest

NoidalNoidal Philadelphia Pennsylvania Posts: 1

Hi, I’m having the same midi problems, but also with midi in using a midi cable..... Nothing. Midi with a midi cable used to work a couple updates ago. I’m not sure what happened. I’m wondering if I should experiment with an earlier update, and see if it works there. Not sure. Thanks for any help. I already tried the learn button btw.

Too_MereToo_Mere Chicago, IL, USABeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 993

@Noidal said:
    Hi, I’m having the same midi problems, but also with midi in using a midi cable..... Nothing. Midi with a midi cable used to work a couple updates ago. I’m not sure what happened. I’m wondering if I should experiment with an earlier update, and see if it works there. Not sure. Thanks for any help. I already tried the learn button btw.

There hasn’t seemed to be any major issues with MIDI communication on the current update.
    Have you tried using another MIDI cable?
    Could you list the steps you are doing to get it connected and working?

DstepATLDstepATL Atlanta, GAPosts: 3

I’m having problems with hanging notes when using a Irijule Theoryboard hooked up via USB. Any ideas?

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@DstepATL said:
    I’m having problems with hanging notes when using a Irijule Theoryboard hooked up via USB. Any ideas?

Is it being USB-MIDI hosted by Deluge?

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

@DstepATL said:

Oh that's a bummer, Im waiting for one. Did you tried with USB and midi connection? If a note hangs how do you "unhang it"? Is it happening while Deluge playing/recording or even if stopped?

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

Shabs22Shabs22 New ZealandPosts: 4

Hi,
    Just became proud owner of a Deluge (3.1.5) and got hands on a Korg microkey2-49 midi keyboard.
    Deluge is powered to the wall, and while being host, a usb cable goes into the Korg.
    After pressing learn + audition key + keyboard key, I successfully get sound and all seems to work fine, though if I press play (or record) the signal hangs. Note stops after about 5 sec.

No luck trying to (re-)learn the connection, only way to get sound back is to unplug the usb cable and re-plug it, deluge flashes 'midi' and 'learn'-combo works... until I press play :?

Hoping for some help here,
    Cheers

@Shabs22 said:
    Hi,
    Just became proud owner of a Deluge (3.1.5) and got hands on a Korg microkey2-49 midi keyboard.
    Deluge is powered to the wall, and while being host, a usb cable goes into the Korg.
    After pressing learn + audition key + keyboard key, I successfully get sound and all seems to work fine, though if I press play (or record) the signal hangs. Note stops after about 5 sec.

No luck trying to (re-)learn the connection, only way to get sound back is to unplug the usb cable and re-plug it, deluge flashes 'midi' and 'learn'-combo works... until I press play :?

Hoping for some help here,
    Cheers

Pretty sure this has to do with the fact that the Korg is sending clock to the Del, while the Del is also sending to the Korg, i.e. a midi loop. Try going into the settings menu and turning midi clock IN off on the D, and see if that mitigates the problem. You can also try using the Korg's editor to make it not send midi clock/ make it run on external clock.
    Let me know if it doesn't help :)

Shabs22Shabs22 New ZealandPosts: 4

Pretty sure this has to do with the fact that the Korg is sending clock to the Del, while the Del is also sending to the Korg, i.e. a midi loop. Try going into the settings menu and turning midi clock IN off on the D, and see if that mitigates the problem. You can also try using the Korg's editor to make it not send midi clock/ make it run on external clock.

First of all, thank you Icoustik, for your fast response (and also for them amazing multi-samples you've uploaded)!

I've looked into it, double checked the MIDI-settings on the Deluge, then tried looking into the settings of the Korg and found out that the driver was out of date (last one they put up was in 2019 - for Mac OS 10.10 to 10.14).
    I've got a Mac, with OS Catalina 10.15.x, so unable to install a driver where I could have possibly changed the "not send midi clock/ make it run on external clock" - settings.

I'm returning the Korg and will swap it for another MIDI-keyboard, hopefully I'll have more luck.
    Will post if it works.

Thanks again for your help

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

@DstepATL said:

My Theoryboard landed in my country, expecting delivery soon. Was you able to pinpoint or solve the issue?

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

@Shabs22 said:

First of all, thank you Icoustik, for your fast response (and also for them amazing multi-samples you've uploaded)!

I've looked into it, double checked the MIDI-settings on the Deluge, then tried looking into the settings of the Korg and found out that the driver was out of date (last one they put up was in 2019 - for Mac OS 10.10 to 10.14).
    I've got a Mac, with OS Catalina 10.15.x, so unable to install a driver where I could have possibly changed the "not send midi clock/ make it run on external clock" - settings.

I'm returning the Korg and will swap it for another MIDI-keyboard, hopefully I'll have more luck.
    Will post if it works.

Thanks again for your help

Alright, cool :) Happy to help! Cheers!

rallatrallat NYCBeta Tester Posts: 11

I have the same issue with the theoryboard it at some point it just hangs forever and need to shut it down. It happens quite often but only while recording. So I guess is something related to their interoperability while recording because it does not happen with the computer or when the deluge is not recording :(

rallatrallat NYCBeta Tester Posts: 11

found the fix. TL;DR: Don't connect to power just let the usb from deluge to power it and that stops the freezes