Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Maximum input voltage rating (e.g. 13.5V?)

scyscy GermanyPosts: 2

Hi there!

I’m about to become a Deluge owner, it’s already on its way 😁

One of the reasons why I’ve selected the Deluge is that it’s powerful and yet compact enough to accompany me on campervan trips. As you might know, cars and RVs often have one or more 12V “cigarette lighter” outlets. However, these may not deliver exactly 12V, but sometimes quite a bit more, like 13.5 or 13.8 volts, and I was wondering whether I could still connect the Deluge to one of these without an additional voltage converter.

Now I know that it’s rated for “9 to 12 volts”, and I could totally understand if the official position is “anything above 12V is on your own risk”. To gauge that risk, I’d have a look at the voltage regulator used inside the Deluge and check out its spec sheet. Now, since my Deluge is still in transit and taking it apart might anyway not be the first thing I’d like to do with it:

• Can anyone tell me the part number of the voltage regulator responsible for the 9–12V input? I’ve looked for teardowns or videos/pictures online that show it, but didn’t find anything.
  • Is there maybe even an official statement like “yeah it says 12V but everything below 15 is fine too”?

Also, I do know that connecting it to a car’s starter battery might not be wise because of voltage spikes, but the RV battery is separate from the starter.

Comments

OrthesianOrthesian United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 14

You could just bring your USB cable and one of these.
    I don't have that exact one, mine is a little older, but I just tested it in the car and the charging light comes right on. Avoids the whole wrong voltage and center negative issues you could run into.
    -Cheers

scyscy GermanyPosts: 2

@Orthesian said:
    You could just bring your USB cable and one of these.

Thanks for the suggestion :smile: I have more than one of these. However, the issue then is that I can’t use any USB controllers attached to the Deluge. :neutral:

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

maybe you need one one these:

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

OrthesianOrthesian United StatesBeta Tester Posts: 14

Ahh, that is completely fair. Being portable for camping I assumed the most minimal of setups.

And those straight 12v to power adapter ends specifically for Deluge look great!

Enjoy creating!