Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

My Deluge stopped recording automation of external midi into midi track

ukorukor GermanyPosts: 3

Setup:
Novation Peak midi out to Deluge midi in
Deluge midi out to peak midi in
(Deluge: midi thru off, Peak Settings: midi enable: CC/NRPN Record + Transmit)

Where it works: Deluge: Synth track
If I assign an external midi knob (E.g. of the Peak: Resonance=cc 79) to a synth parameter - it works as expected
I can record the Peak resonance knob movement into the Deluge synth track - and play it back - the automation is recorded and played back.

but

If i use the same knob to record into a midi track, it doesn’t work.
If I set Deluge midi thru to ON, I can see (midi monitor after Deluge), that the CC midi data passes through the Deluge - but it is not recorded

FYI: If I teach a golden knob of the Deluge to transmit CC 79, and record automation with that golden knob - it works: Resonance of the Peak is moving
I tried different midi cables, other knobs and another synth: external automation isn’t recorded.

It worked before - and than it stopped…

What am I missing?

Comments

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137

I thought the answer might be that you need to LEARN the external CC to a gold knob configured to send the same CC, but I couldn't find any way to do that via docs or experimentation.* I wasn't able to see whether recording arbitrary CCs "just works" for me, but I wouldn't expect it to, based on the Deluge's separation between MIDI it sends out and MIDI it has LEARNed to respond to.

*The one thing I thought might work is assigning a gold knob to a CC, then holding down LEARN and pressing that gold knob while wiggling your external MIDI knob. But no.

This is consistent with something I observed a long time ago: the Deluge will respond to channel aftertouch (and of course can pass it thru) but won't record it.

Hi,
    solved my problem: The Deluge transmits midi notes and cc automation on the chosen midi channel - no questions asked - but to record cc automation, you still have to use the learn function, first. I knew that - but it seems, I missed it anyway (desktop synths - no keys) - its working fine, now.
    Sorry!

How do you learn an external CC to a CC of a MIDI clip?

1. Choose the correct midi channel on Deluge.
    2. Deluge: Hold learn + any audition/section button (far right row) - and hit any key or turn a knob on the sending Midi Controller/Synth.
    • the audition/section buttons will flash pink to confirm, that the Deluge is now listening to that midi channel - notes and cc.