Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How do I connect to external synths via midi out?

VandenToadVandenToad AustraliaPosts: 2

I realise this is probably a really silly question but I am VERY new to all of this. I had an old Volca Beats lying around and so I was hoping to use the deluge as a sequencer for it via midi out. However, all I can manage to do is get the deluge to play the volca but no matter what I sequence there is no sound. I have found the odd pad on the deluge that seems to relate to say the kick on the volca but I am then unable to affect the parameters of the kick via the volca's controls. Apologies if this doesn't make sense I have tried looking for a walkthrough of this everywhere so this is my last resort. Any help or even a point in the right direction would be much appreciated!

Answers

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

I guess you assigned a midi channel to a clip already ? As in the manual -> 12.7 MIDI Out Settings

VandenToadVandenToad AustraliaPosts: 2

@djAzid said:
    I guess you assigned a midi channel to a clip already ? As in the manual -> 12.7 MIDI Out Settings

Yep I have made sure both the Volca and the deluge are on channel 1. I actually do get a sound produced for each part (kick, snare, lo tom etc.) out of the beat but the pads that they correspond to on the deluge are random and far apart. I am also unable to use the control knobs on the Volca to control the sound. It's just the same uniform beeping... I'm sure I'm missing something obvious but I just have no idea!

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

I think you can assign the midi cc on the deluge to match the one on the volca.
    https://youtube.com/watch?v=bZvafWWtegw

Just asking the obvious to check the boxes.
    1. connected midi out on the deluge to midi in on the volka?
    2. you have the audio routed to speakers for both the volca and the deluge ?"kinda seemed like you were missing that.."
    3. Sending midi to the right midi channel or all channel?
    4. double checked that midi out was turned on in the menu?
    5. double check that midi clock is master in the menu.
    6. other than those things who knows I am new to all this too. sure is fun tho.

duelinmarkersduelinmarkers Austin TX USPosts: 137
    edited December 2020

It looks like the Volca Beats has ten voices, each hardwired to be triggered by a particular note on the selected channel. Here's an excerpt from the Volca Beats MIDI Implementation doc (https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/manual/0/141/2738/):

Note Number
    [H] [D]
    24 (36) : KICK
    26 (38) : SNARE
    2B (43) : LO TOM
    32 (50) : HI TOM
    2A (42) : CL HAT
    2E (46) : OP HAT
    27 (39) : CLAP
    4B (75) : CLAVES
    43 (67) : AGOGO
    31 (49) : CRASH

You can play it with a MIDI clip, but it will be weird in exactly the way you've experienced.

Instead of using a MIDI clip, create a new kit on the Deluge, and then configure each row of the kit to send one of those notes on whatever channel you have the Beats configured for. You can save that kit for easy access later.

Post edited by duelinmarkers on