Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

MIDI controller assignment option to access the selected / edited track

2»

Comments

SalaendoInterCitySalaendoInterCity DresdenPosts: 10

Would like to add, if this gets implemented, it would be cool to just press and hold a step button of a clip and by pressing a chord or note on a midi controller simultaneously, it gets copied into the sequence of the clip

hexagon5unhexagon5un MunichBeta Tester Posts: 121

The great advantage of the way MIDI control is currently set up (per track & parameter assignment) is that you can control two or more parameters of different tracks simultaneously.

Use case: change the filter cutoff of two different tracks simultaneously, while leaving other tracks unchanged.

With the per-track MIDI assignments, you'd need to change one filter on the remote MIDI device, change tracks on the Deluge, and then change the other filter.

Per-screen MIDI assignment is great for programming, because it simplifies the remote interface and reduces the number of MIDI faders/knobs required, but is strictly less flexible in a performance setup.

funkymothersfunkymothers LondonPosts: 48

@hexagon5un said:
    Per-screen MIDI assignment is great for programming, because it simplifies the remote interface and reduces the number of MIDI faders/knobs required, but is strictly less flexible in a performance setup.

I think this request is precisely for that purpose and not meant as a replacement of the current setup.

Having said that the shortcomings you are describing could easily be avoided by allowing users to lock certain parameters on specific tracks regardless of which track would have MIDI focus.

@funkymothers said:

@hexagon5un said:

I think this request is precisely for that purpose and not meant as a replacement of the current setup.

I see, going back up to the top. Sorry about that.

I can't speak for Synthstrom, but if you look at one of the song XML files, MIDI mappings are part of the sound/instrument, rather than part of a global mapping like you'd want.

As a possible workaround, you could add identical/template "midiKnob" data to each of the instruments that you're interested in editing, and assign then different MIDI channels. Yeah, this only lets you edit 16 instruments with one setup, but other than that it could be pretty powerful. You could figure out how you want to do the mapping once (parameters -> knobs) and then simply cut/paste the "midiKnob" section in the XML file into every instrument that you want to control this way, changing only the midi channel entry.

Hmmm.. you could even automate setting up your MIDI config this way with a little laptop-side coding...

tacharontacharon HamburgPosts: 44

@hexagon5un said:
    As a possible workaround, you could add identical/template "midiKnob" data to each of the instruments that you're interested in editing, and assign then different MIDI channels. Yeah, this only lets you edit 16 instruments with one setup, but other than that it could be pretty powerful. You could figure out how you want to do the mapping once (parameters -> knobs) and then simply cut/paste the "midiKnob" section in the XML file into every instrument that you want to control this way, changing only the midi channel entry.

IMO that is a pretty good example why the currently implemented system is so cumbersome and inflexible. I don't know which patches I will end up using – that is part of the composition process. I may also create new patches during sessions, which would then necessarily conflict with existing ones.

Hmmm.. you could even automate setting up your MIDI config this way with a little laptop-side coding...

I use the Delulge specifically because I do not want to use a computer in a DAW less jam. I am aware that you certainly wanted to help (thanks!), but none of your workarounds cuts it, sorry.

@SalaendoInterCity said:
    Would like to add, if this gets implemented, it would be cool to just press and hold a step button of a clip and by pressing a chord or note on a midi controller simultaneously, it gets copied into the sequence of the clip

I like that idea, but it is probably worth a separate feature request.

@tacharon said:

@hexagon5un said:
    As a possible workaround, you could add identical/template "midiKnob" data to each of the instruments that you're interested in editing, and assign then different MIDI channels.

I use the Delulge specifically because I do not want to use a computer in a DAW less jam. I am aware that you certainly wanted to help (thanks!), but none of your workarounds cuts it, sorry.

I get it.

I just ran an experiment, and changing the "learned" channel for the notes doesn't automatically change the channel that's doing the knob control, so you'd be pretty much stuck with having to edit files on a computer with my method.

And aything else I can think of just gets more contrived: you could make a template track with 16 blank instruments, each pre-loaded with the MIDI track and parameter set that you'd like to CC, for instance.

Anyway, I think I'm just brainstorming around the problem rather than solving yours ATM. :neutral: Sorry, and good luck!

@tacharon said:

@SalaendoInterCity said:

You have an idea for a catchy titel?
    Elektron basically offers it already but i have no idea how it is called

@tacharon said:

@SalaendoInterCity said:

You have an idea for a catchy titel?
    Elektron basically offers it already but i have no idea how it is called

@tacharon said:

@SalaendoInterCity said:

Haha alright, do u have an idea for a catchy titel / feature name?
    Elektron already basically offers that but i have no idea how it is called

(Always when i read a comment in which Elektron gets mentioned, i imagine one of the synthstrom guys freaking out: „So buy an elektron already!“
    Apologize for that ur machine is awesome and all we do is comparing it. However its a cool feature and i think it could improve the deluge)

@tacharon said:

@SalaendoInterCity said:

(Always when i read a comment in which Elektron gets mentioned, i imagine one of the synthstrom guys freaking out: „So buy an elektron already!“
    Apologize for that ur machine is awesome and all we do is comparing it. However its a cool feature and i think it could improve the deluge)

edited May 2020

@tacharon said:

@SalaendoInterCity said:

Sorry for the double posts - sth went wrong and i cant delete them ...

Post edited by SalaendoInterCity on

@SalaendoInterCity said:

@tacharon said:

@SalaendoInterCity said:

As if I would be the person to ask for catchy titles ;-)
    But since you asked, my suggestion would be "Step Recording of MIDI Notes".

@hexagon5un said:

@funkymothers said:

@hexagon5un said:

I see, going back up to the top. Sorry about that.

I can't speak for Synthstrom, but if you look at one of the song XML files, MIDI mappings are part of the sound/instrument, rather than part of a global mapping like you'd want.

Late follow-up, @hexagon5un: I am now looking at the presets in XML form and am wondering what options there might be to copy-paste the assignments into existing kits.

The challenge here is that the knob assignments are buried within the section and are relating to an individual row in each kit. This makes editing somewhat cumbersome:

1. Open SOURCE-KIT.XML
    2. locate Sound #1
    3. locate and copy assignments
    4. open DESTINATION.KIT
    5. locate Sound #1
    6. find position where are to be inserted (right after
    7. paste for Sound #1
    8. repeat Steps 1. to 7. for remaining rows in the kit.

I have no programming skills and am simply looking at the XML files in my Text Editor on my Linux laptop. If there are other editors available to make the editing process above quicker that would be helpful (suggestions welcome).

You are mentioning scripting - if you could point me in the direction of how the above might be automated that would be appreciated. I don't mind investing a little bit of time learning something that makes my life easier before spending the same amount of time on dull, repetitive work!

MaxOSMaxOS Los AngelesPosts: 50

That would be great. My Yamaha RM1X does this.

kleinstarkleinstar germanyBeta Tester Posts: 51

I already had this idea and opened a thread for this.
    I would just set up an auto channel for the selected track and apply one default mapping - this is more simple but we would have to program the midi controller.

https://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/5445/default-midi-mapping-for-currently-selected-clip#latest

seangoodvibesseangoodvibes Beta Tester Posts: 45
    edited December 2023

@kleinstar @tacharon

Midi Follow Mode with Midi Learning View

Master midi follow mode whereby after enabling the mode, you set a master midi follow channel and all midi (notes + cc’s) received on that channel will be directed to control the active view (e.g. arranger view, song view, audio clip view, instrument clip view).

Comes with a midi learning view to make learning and managing your midi cc's to the deluge's parameters a breeze.

Simple summary: Set a channel, set your Midi Controller(s) to the same channel, set a root note for your kits, learn your Midi CC's once and play and control the deluge instruments and parameters with ease!

No more re-learning your Midi controllers every time you start a new song, add new clips or change instrument presets.

https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/pull/781

Download link: https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/actions/runs/7083985686?pr=781

Post edited by seangoodvibes on

@seangoodvibes said:
    @kleinstar @tacharon

Master midi follow mode whereby after enabling the mode, you set a master midi follow channel and all midi (notes + cc’s) received on that channel will be directed to control the active view (e.g. arranger view, song view, audio clip view, instrument clip view).

Comes with a midi learning view to make learning and managing your midi cc's to the deluge's parameters a breeze.

Simple summary: Set a channel, set your Midi Controller(s) to the same channel, set a root note for your kits, learn your Midi CC's once and play and control the deluge instruments and parameters with ease!

No more re-learning your Midi controllers every time you start a new song, add new clips or change instrument presets.

Download link: https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/actions/runs/7083985686?pr=781

That sounds f***ing brilliant!
    Is that part of the "Amadeus" firmware release?

@seangoodvibes
    Amazing! Looking forward to trying it - thanks so much!

seangoodvibesseangoodvibes Beta Tester Posts: 45

@tacharon said:

@seangoodvibes said:
    @kleinstar @tacharon

That sounds f***ing brilliant!
    Is that part of the "Amadeus" firmware release?

It’s part of the nightly build right now :)