Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

SR-JV80-04 Multisamples

rootnoderootnode JapanBeta Tester Posts: 12

Recently got my Deluge and worked on sampling the SR-JV80-04 expansion card for Roland JV-80/880/1080/etc synths.

The first bank (the first 64 presets of the expansion card) are done sampling. They now are packaged with 3 different velocities (40, 64 and 127).

https://gum.co/deluge-vintage-bank-1

Post edited by rootnode on

Comments

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited May 2020

Hi.
    Very cool, I got a JD990 with that Vintage Synth Expansion, true gem!
    Checked it shortly, looks good. This will be a killer sample collection.

• I like the moderate size, loads fast on the Deluge
    • the numbers in the WAV files are midi note numbers, right?
    • in the XML files firmware tags are from 2.x. I would expect 3.x tags. Doesnt do any harm afaik, just wondering. How did you create these files? On the Deluge via MULTI load, or via Samplerobot export maybe?
    Post edited by amiga909 on

Yes, the same expansion card. They do sound a bit different though depending on which Roland synth they get thrown into.

I samples via SampleRobot. My first go at this, so I still need to look a bit more into normalizing, etc. What I do dislike about SampleRobot though is the lack of "export all projects". Doing it one by one is tedious.

But that's also the reason why the firmware version in the files say 2.x. That's what SampleRobot's exporter uses.

o_oo_o Beta Tester Posts: 28

This is great! Thank you. I like that line of synths. Also, the loop points in your files are really good 👍 Sampling every 6 st seems like a good setting.

Just some minor feedback:

• SYNT301: 051.wav, 057.wav, 081.wav have a slight click. I can only hear it on headphones, and it's more on the right channel. It's not on the loop boundary, but somewhere in the loop. Maybe this would be worth looking into before creating a lot of files.
    • SYNT360: For sounds like this, maybe it could be nice to record at two different velocities (e.g. 40 and 100). This way we can use the Deluge's 2nd Osc and crossfade depending on the played velocity.

Yeah, the loops have been created via SampleRobot's autodetection. I need to tweak the settings a bit more. But samples are 10 seconds long, so to reach the loop you really have to play them long :D

The multiple velocities, definitely. I will try to get a better version of say the first 10 presets in the first bank tomorrow maybe.

I just wish I could export all projects at once. Seems like older version had the ability...

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@o_o said:

• SYNT360: For sounds like this, maybe it could be nice to record at two different velocities (e.g. 40 and 100). This way we can use the Deluge's 2nd Osc and crossfade depending on the played velocity.

Do you have an example patch for that?
    I have played around with using osc2. I can mix 2 samples by 2 modulation matrix assignments: velocity +25 to osc1 level, and velocity -25 to osc2 level.
    but I cant play them exclusively as in a velocity split. crossfading 2 samples is not the same as a velocity split, and its not how the original synth would sound, I can also get phasing effects.
    making use of the ability to have 2 multisample folders per preset is a good idea though, nice the Deluge can handle 2 folders of multisamples.

Currently resampling the first 64 presets at 40, 64 and 127. Also asked SampleRobot support for where they hid the "export all projects" functionality that used to be there in version 4 :smile:

o_oo_o Beta Tester Posts: 28

@amiga909 said:

@o_o said:
    This way we can use the Deluge's 2nd Osc and crossfade depending on the played velocity.

Do you have an example patch for that?

Sorry, I only know the crossfade you describe. I'm not aware of a way to do a velocity split. It would be nice if the Deluge could do that.

I am done with the first 64 presets, including different velocities.

olloollo switzerlandPosts: 4

xlm files dosent seem too find the wave files.

BenBen Albuquerque, NM, USABeta Tester Posts: 7

@ollo said:
    xlm files dosent seem too find the wave files.

They’re working fine here, where did you put the samples? The JV04 folder needs to be in SAMPLES/Multisamples/ (the same as the folder structure within the downloaded archives). If you use a Mac, you’ll need to use something other than Finder to properly copy + merge the various sample folders, since Finder doesn’t handle folder merging properly.

RetromodernistRetromodernist GermanyPosts: 1

@rootnode just got the Bank A and love it. I also purchased the Bank B, but I'm wondering if the samples are mixed somehow? In Bank A the Velocities 40, 67 and 128 sound very similar. For Bank B the Vel 40 sounds bit off compared to the Vel 67 and 128. Like it's a different sound sometimes.