Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Stems workflow help

Human_LadderHuman_Ladder Asheville, NC USAPosts: 4

I’m am looking to load some long samples for stems and I’m curious what others do. I’ve created a new folder in the artists folder on the SD card and loaded my stems. They only seem accessible on the Synth side and not kit. Which creates an oscillator sound along with my sample. Is this true or am I doing it wrong? Can I turn off the oscillator when using samples?

Any first hand advise would be helpful. Do you time stretch or have it play free? I’m sure I’ll have more question.

Thanks

Comments

edited December 2019

I apparently needed to create an audio clip and load the file there. Sections 9.6 and 9.3 in the 3.0 manual for others who are looking for answers on this..

Post edited by Human_Ladder on

Here is a little tutorial vid I put together on stem importing! I hope it helps someone!

NRuckNRuck UKBeta Tester Posts: 80

Personally, I never create an audio clip to import samples or longer stems, I just create a new kit (hold shift & kit), hold down the 'audition' button on the row I want to import the sample into and press 'load' then scroll to the sample I want and press select. This way I can have each row with a different sample, like any kit. Not sure why you would want to create an audio clip to do this, particularly as then your entire row in song mode is taken up by one single sample / stem? Can you explain your thinking on this? Might be I have not understood (I haven't watched the vid yet btw)

When playing live I pretty much stay in song mode. I have stems setup differently for each song, sometimes it is just one long stem for 5 min. Other times stems are broken into different sections of the song. Sometimes I’ll mix stems with kits. One nice feature of having it in song mode is you can control the number of times each section repeats, mute sections or arrange on the fly. I’ll have to look into putting longer stems into kits. Might not work with my relatively hands off approach as a guitar player. It would makes sense to put short clips into kits though...

SpiderLabSpiderLab Byron BayPosts: 18

@Human_Ladder I suggest you are doing it right. For live play both ways can work though. Say you make a kit with three long samples in it. Then to avoid going into the kit again (fiddly when playing live) you have to make three tracks with the same kit (it will be mutually exclusive) then in the kit mute and unmute each sample for that track. PITA. So you might as well make a track per sample then use sections or manual selection to call them. This is a weak part of the Deluge as it makes it very difficult to build a full live set with many songs and multiple parts. Hence it is {shOcK! HoRrEuR!!} driving me to Ableton :cold_sweat:

NRuckNRuck UKBeta Tester Posts: 80

Yes. There isn't really a right or wrong way. Sorry if it came across that way. To my mind though, taking the above example by Spiderlab, if I have a clip / track with three long samples in it, I can still have different copies of that clip / track with any combination of samples being triggered and I can still group those across different colour coded sections in Song mode. At the end of the day, you will end up with the same or similar amount of rows happening in Song mode either way, whether you use copies or single sample per track but I would personally find it more flexible to have the copies and then have the ability to go in on a track by track level and change things up if I wanted.

I am also primarily a guitar player, so for 'performing' I am nearly always laying up an entire track in Arranger and just hitting play with a footswitch. I can't really use song mode to perform hands free, plus with the amount of track rows I normally end up with it just gets too complex to keep track of what's what. So Song mode is normally very much a stepping stone to Arranger, unless I am just live looping.