Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Delay and release tails when changing songs

ELEVENELEVEN Zagreb, CroatiaPosts: 60
edited December 2019 in General Discussion

This would help a lot when performing live, to achieve smoother transitions.
currently only the reverb has a tail when song is changed, delay and release do not

Post edited by ELEVEN on

Comments

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

Reverbs and releases already do ring out when switching songs, only delays do not.

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

oh do they really? sorry my bad 🤭

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited December 2019

how do you get releases ring out Icoustik? reverb does, thanks for pointing out.
    my test song
    song A with 1 synth, no note data
    song B with 1 synth, clip is 1 note lasting half of the clip length, the synth preset has a very long release, so when i instant mute the clip the sound is still audible after 10s.
    now when i change from song B to A, the release is cut off. same with kit samples and high release setting.

Post edited by amiga909 on

yes, i too can confirm this behaviour.
    i have edited the thread's name accordingly.

i am not sure if this is a realistic suggestion. at some point a Song load operation needs to free resources. reverb works because it is a global effect. unlikely most other effects there is only one reverb per song.
    if you load a project in a DAW or a song in Elektron device you get zero ring out of anything.

IcoustikIcoustik NorwayModerator, Beta Tester, Mentor Posts: 1,017

@amiga909 said:
    i am not sure if this is a realistic suggestion. at some point a Song load operation needs to free resources. reverb works because it is a global effect. unlikely most other effects there is only one reverb per song.
    if you load a project in a DAW or a song in Elektron device you get zero ring out of anything.

True :)

Release did do it before, I just checked and now it doesn't. I'll ask Rohan

~ Distinguished Delugate ᕕ( ◎_◎)ᕗ

did upvote, if it is possible to have I am in. Maybe it was removed because it can lead to unwanted effects? Like what to do if a long release rings out for 30s and there is no way to mute because it belongs to a clip of the previous song. Release is probably safe mostly, delay tails with high feedback could be bigger problem.

yes you guys are right regarding delays with high feedback. it could cause a mess.
    for now i use resamples of the previous song's tail, which works but is far from ideal as i have to mute the sample once it rings out.
    another approach is an external delay pedal on the master bus dedicated solely to transitions-this is a better option, but of course requires one extra thing to carry around.

well i have bought a behringer x-air xr12 for my live rig, which enables me to apply some decent external delay+reverb on the master bus-making transitions between songs smoother 🙂
    problem solved.