Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

how to organize tracks

geesbertgeesbert DeutschlandPosts: 13

I use my Deluge mainly as a sequencer for external gear. Unfortunately it is so easy to loose track which clip is which instrument. I try to color code them, but as not all colors are available when only 2 or 3 clips are selected it doesn't work consistently.

assigning one clip to any instrument doesn't work either.

is there a way to name a clip?

how do you organize your tracks?

Comments

harrykaufmanharrykaufman AmsterdamPosts: 14

You can name synth and kit presets, by pressing the black select knob in clip mode. In song mode the name will show when you press and hold a pad of the clip.

Unfortunately you can not (yet?) save midi presets. Would be great though, also to store all outgoing midi cc’s.

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

my 2 cents:

• yeah, helps a lot to name preset but you cant name individual clips.
    • currently i fear coloring clips because the color displayed in Song mode depends on the note values. so, for example you might color your clip to look green-ish in Song mode. later you transpose the clip by 3 octaves. the greenish color in Song mode will be gone. if we ever could get http://forums.synthstrom.com/discussion/439/monochrome-single-color-for-tracks coloring clips would make more sense for me.
    • "loose track which clip is which instrument.": i have all my clips grouped by instrument, between instruments i place an "empty" clip in Song view. since Arranger came i dont launch sections anymore (avoids clip duplicates), now i use the section color to denote what a clip can be used for (e.g. blue for clips to use in a break, green for chorus, ..). might not be an option for you.
    PuppeteerPuppeteer Perth, West OzBeta Tester Posts: 52

I do something similar.

I move all my external MIDI clips to the top when I'm finished with all the resampling (during construction, I have the MIDI track at the top of the instrument group, with the audio resampling below it). I make sure they are all off before saving. Triggering them during a performance can be problematic.

Then a blank track

Drums at the top. I colour them red, and orange for variations

Each instrument set is then coloured in groups below starting with the main elements - bass, chords, leads
    I will have 3 or 4 tracks of variations. These will either be sampled from external instruments, or built on the deluge.

Blue for bass, purple for chords, green for leads

I have effect type sounds below the main rhythmic bits. Normally just single tracks. I use yellows and oranges for these.

Then any oneshot vocal samples at the bottom - random colours