Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sidechain

SlivizSliviz LondonPosts: 45

Hey everyone hope you can help.

I have been using a volca drum, novation circuit and the deluge to record a live performance I am working on.

The setup is as follows:

Circuit and volca drum are sequenced together to run in time vie midi. The volca is handling the main drums of the track and the circuit is handling a bassline
I am using the deluge as a loop recorder via line in from my mixer to capture the audio.

My question is. Is there a way to sidechain the bassline coming from the novation circuit because at the moment the drums etc coming from the volca dum are clashing with the bassline and making a really muddy mix? I assumed there wasnt as the circuit and drum are two separate machines but figured if I ran the circuit and drum into the deluge I may be able to sidechain the sounds internally somehow?

Comments

msweeneymsweeney Minnesota USAPosts: 7

You can 'sidechain send' from any instrument in a kit even if that instrument is not audible. If you can associate an incoming MIDI track from the Circuit to that particular non-audible instrument in the kit it might get you where you want to be.

Keep in mind the sidechain is somewhat 'virtual' in a sense - it is not using the actual waveform of the instrument, instead using a predefined waveform which you can select from a list.

SlivizSliviz LondonPosts: 45

Thanks mate this is very helpful!

recursorrecursor UKPosts: 33

@msweeney said:
    You can 'sidechain send' from any instrument in a kit even if that instrument is not audible. If you can associate an incoming MIDI track from the Circuit to that particular non-audible instrument in the kit it might get you where you want to be.

Keep in mind the sidechain is somewhat 'virtual' in a sense - it is not using the actual waveform of the instrument, instead using a predefined waveform which you can select from a list.

Good question OP and thanks for the response @msweeney I found this post looking for a similar solution. I'm running a bassline on a Microbrute sequenced from the Deluge but I'd like to sidechain the bassline via the Deluge's sidechain. When you say "associate and incoming MIDI track from..." I'm a bit confused :-) I'd like to duck the volume on the external bassline but I'm not sure that can be done with MIDI.

I'm wondering if I need to monitor the output of the Microbrute (on the Deluge input) and then affect that... hah, not even sure if that's possible.

llexamllexam USABeta Tester Posts: 73

@recursor said:
    I'm wondering if I need to monitor the output of the Microbrute (on the Deluge input) and then affect that... hah, not even sure if that's possible.

Yes, that's exactly how to do it.