Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Periodic autosave/recovery option

JscottkJscottk SeattlePosts: 51

I love how Elektron boxes allow me to easily come back to the exact state that the device was in before I turned it off, and I think functionality like this could significantly improve the experience of using the Deluge.

I have lost quite a bit of work from bumping the off switch after forgetting to save a project or accidentally hitting "load" twice while trying to hit "back", so I was thinking that after a certain amount of time or work has been done to a track it could be automatically saved to a temp slot for later retrieval.

Perhaps autosave gets stored in the last song slot (edit: at index -1, not overwriting previous work) so someone just needs to turn the song selection knob to the left from 0 to select it. Autosave would then be replaced when you perform enough work on a track to trigger the next save. That way work is never accidentally lost with a single action and only one song slot is taken up by autosave (so the SD card doesn't get filled up).

Has anyone else been stung by the lack of a recovery option?

Post edited by Jscottk on

Comments

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

Not really. I have a habit of saving into neighbor slots after a certain point( usually when i think, "thats nice") or when ive made a number of big changes to a song, just so i can a/b them later. Then if im more into the 1, I overwrite the other. So i make backups basiclly by habit. If an autosave "feature" jumped in and decided right there is where the song gets saved at, i wouldnt like it. But id still be making backups so wouldnt be too bad. I had an octatrack and it took me awhile to get used to it. It wasn't always annoying but most of the time it was. I would make parts my backups.
    So yea, f it was implemented id prefer it be a settings options to autosave or not.
    Deluge already sort of autosaves changes to kits and synths by making new iterations, which i like.
    Maybe just slow your sweaty ham fists down a little!? Ha jk!

edited May 2018

I'm not suggesting that your work would be saved over without your consent, simply that your song gets periodically saved to a new dedicated recovery/autosave slot (which I was imagining at slot -1 or the last slot).

You wouldn't be losing any functionality or experiencing any change in existing functionality other than a new ability to recover what was in the temp/autosave slot.

Think of how Word or Gmail implements document recovery. If you've worked on something for a while without saving it there's a backup draft that you can pull up. That's all I'm suggesting here.

Edit: it would also be useful for the scenario when batteries run out while working on a piece that hasn't been saved.

Post edited by Jscottk on
    minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

So...autosaves the way i gata try and remember to do!? Ok! +1

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

could be hard to implement as saving takes some time.
    yeah was concerned about this too, less now, as mistakes lead to more discipline. lost some trax but has not happened for a while.
    maybe loading the last used song on boot would be helpful. id like to see an autosave but not if it takes too much time.

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Ah good point. I hadn't considered that playback would need to be interrupted to perform a save.

I suppose it could be implemented in such a way that it waits for the user to hit stop before autosaving a track that's been flagged as containing a new revision, although that would decrease the utility of the function a bit.