Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Does anyone sync with a DAW?

2»

Comments

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

im new to this jargen of syncing clocks like this. with cakewalk i have not experienced syncing problems recording i cant hear any real latency.. however, when using the Deluges delay on a given sample/synth it will 95% of the time warble and it makes it unusable for me. would this CLK IN function fix this problem?

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

@Ljk said:
    im new to this jargen of syncing clocks like this. with cakewalk i have not experienced syncing problems recording i cant hear any real latency.. however, when using the Deluges delay on a given sample/synth it will 95% of the time warble and it makes it unusable for me. would this CLK IN function fix this problem?

Probably. I wonder though, whether the Deluge sends the clock from the CLK IN thru to the midi output port, does anyone know this?

VondragonnogginVondragonnoggin California, USAPosts: 199
    edited May 2018

@MPrinsen said:

@Ljk said:

Probably. I wonder though, whether the Deluge sends the clock from the CLK IN thru to the midi output port, does anyone know this?

I don’t use a DAW, but the Deluge sends system real-time messages to out port if set to thru also. My keyboard controller sends midi clock, start/stop/reset, etc and will work as master for Deluge and several synths with sequencers setup on the Deluge Out port.

It’s kind of a pain though for me to have my controller keyboard as master for real-time messages. It means I have to use it for all start stop commands if the Deluge slaves to it and the Deluge will slave automatically if it receives those commands and clock at its IN port. I turn off that feature on my keyboard controller and use the Deluge as Master so start button and stops work from the Deluge.

Post edited by Vondragonnoggin on
    HolidayHoliday CanadaPosts: 53

Essentially the Deluge receives clock either MIDI/DIN or Audio CLK Sync. The latter requires a plugin or for you to set up a click pulse wave and perhaps a DC coupled audio interface. Now, from what I understand the Deluge receives clock pulses via audio as mentioned above but doesn't pass through that clock as MIDI out, that requires a conversion. Doesn't entirely make sense though that you can have the Deluge receive audio clock but that it then cancels out any ability to send clock, meaning you can only sequence the Deluge internal synth engine in time with your DAW or another hardware sequencer that is sending out audio clock. You could of course send audio clock to the Deluge and then have your DAW send clock over MIDI to other gear. Clock from your DAW is not as stable as dedicated hardware. Also recording back into your DAW there is some latency. Which is why people use something like Innerclock or E-RM Multiclock devices for sample accurate sync across all devices.

My idea was to make the Deluge capable of doing the conversion of audio clock received to MIDI out, thus saving money on having to buy an external sync box.

edited May 2018

The Deluge does not send clock OUT if it receives audio pulse IN (this is in the manual), but does if it receives midi clock IN

It retransmits midi system realtime messages if OUT is set to be a THRU.

Post edited by Vondragonnoggin on

@Vondragonnoggin said:
    The Deluge does not send clock OUT if it receives audio pulse IN (this is in the manual), but does if it receives midi clock IN

Yeah I know, that was mentioned on the first page of this thread. My request to Synthstrom was to see if the Deluge could in an update make it so it could act as an audio clock to MIDI clock converter which means I don't have to buy another piece of hardware to get sample accurate sync between DAW and Deluge. Perhaps not possible. The way things are, DAW sequencers and hardware sequencers don't like each other and so you need something like Innerclock Sync-Gen II Pro. It's like mandatory if you want a hybrid set up without sync hassles.

@Holiday said:

@Vondragonnoggin said:

Yeah I know, that was mentioned on the first page of this thread. My request to Synthstrom was to see if the Deluge could in an update make it so it could act as an audio clock to MIDI clock converter which means I don't have to buy another piece of hardware to get sample accurate sync between DAW and Deluge. Perhaps not possible. The way things are, DAW sequencers and hardware sequencers don't like each other and so you need something like Innerclock Sync-Gen II Pro. It's like mandatory if you want a hybrid set up without sync hassles.

Yes - MPrinsen asked the question about midi clock retransmitted at OUT if it was receiving IN. Nothing to do with audio pulse, so I answered him

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078
    edited May 2018

@Holiday said:
    Well so far I've heard good things about people using various audio sync boxes/converters like E-RM and Innerclock between DAW and hardware. I don't think I'll be using more than 6-7 pieces of hardware gear. If Synthstrom can update the software so that the Deluge converts incoming audio pulse to clock to MIDI clock out then that would be huge, as jbone1313 said it's like a free Innerclock with your Deluge. Barring that seems the cheapest most flexible option is the E-RM Multiclock.

yeah, a free innerclock would be awesome, no idea if possible. however, synthstrom might be motivated to do it cause innerclock are ozzies 😉
    there also is 100€ http://www.expert-sleepers.co.uk/usamo.html, heard good and bad things about it

edit: ah, usamo was mentioned already

Post edited by amiga909 on
    jbone1313jbone1313 Posts: 39

Saw the below quote in the manual. Wondering if Deluge will send these CV clock signals when slaved. If that is the case, then perhaps one could get a cable which takes those two outputs and converts it to MIDI. I have one that I bought from someone on Muff Wiggler a few years ago. If/when I get time, I might test this.

"If you wish to use the Deluge as a syncing master to send a trigger clock signal to other devices, gate output 4 can be set to output a trigger clock signal, and / or gate 3 can be set to output a “run” signal (goes high while playback is occurring; low otherwise)."

Yeah, I'm sure something could be done. Wish the Devs would chime in here and say whether it would be possible or not.

jbone1313jbone1313 Posts: 39

Ok - test results are in:
    1. YES - the Deluge does send clock out of the gate ports while it is slaved to audio clock. This is pretty cool.
    2. NO - the Deluge does not send clock out of the MIDI port while it is slaved to audio clock.

Side note: I tested my DJ-1200 cable, which takes a clock and run signal and converts it to DIN sync. Unfortunately, my machine I was testing as a slave did not accept DIN sync through the MIDI in. But, that made me realize that using the DJ-1200 cable in that way probably would not work for slaving machines which only take MIDI clock (not DIN sync) as a clock source.

Hmmm...I have a Mio4 which has MIDI/DIN connectors so that might work.

MoonWolfMoonWolf United KingdomPosts: 50

@MPrinsen said:
    Me too wih fl studio

Can you tell me how you made it work, please?
    I can't make it work at all. Can't work out why it won't...

MPrinsenMPrinsen NetherlandsPosts: 157

What exactly is it you can't make it work? Sending clock, or notes, or both?

Was curious if someone has the Deluge integrated with Ableton as part of their production process. Either hashing out ideas and then dumping them into Ableton or going back and forth. I even wonder if it's possible to have a user template select where the pads on the Deluge launch clips.

sndogfsndogf San FranciscoBeta Tester Posts: 34

@jbone1313 said:

• The Deluge has a clock input. That means that you can sync with audio instead of MIDI. If you send the audio clock out of an Ableton External Audio Effect, it will be latency compensated and jitter-free. You can roll your own clock pulses with Abelton's Samper, or you can use a third-party plug-in. Expert Sleepers has one. Here's a free one: http://www.shaduzlabs.com/blog/24/a-free-plugin-for-all-your-clock-needs.html. All you need is a free output on a sound card to send the clock pulses.

Can somebody record a video of this setup? This sounds very useful