Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Loop Screen / Cycle Region

muleskinnermuleskinner Bath, UKModerator Posts: 128
edited September 2018 in Deluge Software Suggestions

Unless I'm missing something - If you're editing a long pattern and want to work on the final bar there seems to be no way of doing this without listening to the entire sequence over and over. This gets pretty tedious, if not unworkable, when working on 8 bar patterns and over.

The Tempest has a toggle function 'loop screen' which just loops the currently visible area. I I think something like this is really needed on the Deluge - particularly as it can deal with such long track lengths.

==== EDIT: Here are some ideas as to how cool this could be in the 2.0 arranger...

-Have a new type of track in the arranger view, a 'cycle track'
-Users can create as many of these tracks as they want
-Enter regions on a 'cycle track' just as you'd enter notes on a normal track
-Regions are coloured automatically so you don't get two adjacent regions of the same colour (user can probably override this)
-Shift click on a region and it goes white (active). Only one region may be active at one time.
-When a region is active 'play' always starts from the start of that region and the arranger loops within that region
-If the active region is changed whilst playing, playback jumps when the playhead reaches the end of the current region

A more detailed and illustrated description of how this might work is here.

Something akin to the above would both be really, really helpful in terms of arranging songs but also really useful for performance as it would allow the user to set up 'scenes' with different mute states etc and jump between them, similar to how switching between song sections works now, but much more flexible and with no limit to the amount of sections.

It also means you could set up one section of the arranger for a 'scratch pad' of ideas and have another for the 'finished' song, that type of thing. It would actually be miles more flexible than the way cycling works in many DAWs!

Noise, Noodles and Doodles: http://bit.ly/mrjonesthebutcher

Post edited by muleskinner on

Comments

rpc9943rpc9943 New York usaBeta Tester, Mentor Posts: 184

Could you explain how this would be implemented? Thanks!

Here are a couple of possibilities... I think it probably makes sense to set the loop in 'song' view.

So there's a way of toggling loop mode on and off. Maybe shift+play if that hasn't been used for anything yet. Perhaps the 'play' LED would flash on change colour if in 'loop' mode.

Then, in the simplest scenario, the song would just loop round whatever visible area you had set in 'song' view. Would be easy to zoom in to a particular bar, loop it, then make all your edits in 'track' mode.

A slightly more complex but more flexible scenario would be something like, if you have 'loop' toggled on, the bottom row of pads in 'song' mode display a 'cycle region'. This can be set in the same way you'd enter a tied note in the sequencer. The song would loop that region until the region was reset or until 'loop' was turned off (ideally the cycle region would be remembered for next time 'loop' was turned on.

I could work with either of those - there may well be better ideas though!

This would be great yes
    HorstmaistaHorstmaista Los AngelesBeta Tester Posts: 56

Yeah this would help a lot. I think the implementation could go along with the option to shorten track by bars.
    It would be great to have a mode where you press a button to get into 'bar-mode' directly (=4/4th), which gives you one lit button per bar in you track, then you can enable/disable/remove each bar separately.
    The difference to the regular 1 bar zoom out is that a.) you get there directly without dialing the zoom level and b.) disabling won't delete the notes but ignore the bar when playing and c.) would give you the option to change the length of the track by deleting bars in a whole.
    This would allow the user to just work on one bar without having to wait on it for the whole track to get back to it AND allow to shorten tracks without running into the issue of having odd-length parts and your melody to get off beat (which will cover a different issue / feature request).
    Hope this makes sense.

HorstmaistaHorstmaista Los AngelesBeta Tester Posts: 56

One more thing this mode could add is that you could transpose each bar as a whole.

I had also suggested this in a different thread :)

I really like the idea of a 'bar select' where the selected bar(s) would loop and operations like transpose would apply to selected bar(s). I also really like the idea of being able to shorten tracks without things going out of time.

This might be slightly different though as (presumably) it would on apply per-track - I think we need the option to cycle a region of the song, e.g. if you're working on a drum/bass fill that's on bar 8 you want to hear both parts looping together.

funktreefunktree NYPosts: 128
    edited May 2017

Yes shift + play or double tap play to start to loop THE current view... if you need to zoom in you could still do it and edit notes with higher accuracy but the looping start/stop would be driven by what ever was on the 8x16 matrix when you engaged the loop section mode.

Post edited by funktree on
    Lucky_LuxLucky_Lux PolandPosts: 14

Yes, it is really important to start playing the bar you are working on. I found this necessary even on the first day I have worked with Deluge.

oltecoltec GermanyPosts: 4

Yes , please i think so too. It´s very importantend to have a loop point in song mode and in track mode.

sinknoodlessinknoodles Vancouver, CanadaPosts: 32

+1

The user and all related content has been deleted.
    poldensteinpoldenstein italyBeta Tester Posts: 43

+1

FilpalFilpal Paris, FrancePosts: 28

+1

mpiecorampiecora United StatesPosts: 29

+1

Glad to see this getting a lot of '+1's - here's hoping this might be implemented soon :smile:

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

@Horstmaista said:
    Yeah this would help a lot. I think the implementation could go along with the option to shorten track by bars.
    It would be great to have a mode where you press a button to get into 'bar-mode' directly (=4/4th), which gives
    you one lit button per bar in you track, then you can enable/disable/remove each bar separately.

reminds me of modstep ios. cool idea for sure. if each individual bar select can be midi learned, we could automate pattern variations.

is it possible nobody mentioned there is a command to avoid playing from the beginning?
    hold <>-knob, press play
    starts playback from the current track screen

MatthewGeorgeMatthewGeorge Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 247
    @amiga909 It's an early post from before that feature existed but good that you mentioned it here for future reference.
    I'd like the loop screen function as well as the play from view feature.
    It would be handy for editing and would have live applications too.

Yeah, play from current position is cool and all but it's nothing like as useful as looping.

Deluge can create tracks of almost limitless length. I don't see how you can fully take advantage of that without being able to loop and edit a section that's several bars in!

amiga909amiga909 Central EuropePosts: 1,078

upvoted for sure

bracketsbrackets BarcelonaPosts: 25

+1

LjkLjk Austin Tx USAPosts: 98

+1

BobbiPeruBobbiPeru Oakland, CAPosts: 22

+1

EddyEddy Cologne, GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 292

+1

+1

Are you guys making sure you upvote as well as adding '+1'? I ask because I keep seeing '+1' comments added but the upvote count stays the same and that's what Rohan et al will be keeping tabs on!

Having said that I see the same person has added '+1' twice so that could be why!

VJFranzKVJFranzK Los Angeles USABeta Tester Posts: 129

the question is - what would it do with all the other loops? ( because they could all be in various places if they are a different length. )

Music, Visuals, Reviews of Synths, Drum Machines, Apps
    YouTube: VJFranzK

@muleskinner i actually didnt see that i did that ha.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 502
    edited April 2018
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on

@VJFranzK said:
    the question is - what would it do with all the other loops? ( because they could all be in various places if they are a different length. )

If the cycle region was set in song mode then this wouldn't be an issue.

In track mode I'd expect the 'song' to loop based on the current playhead position, ie if you're looping one bar the song playhead jumps back one bar. A counter must be maintained for overall song position so trivial to calculate the position of each loop for any given playhead position.

Maybe the new song arranger in 2.0 will give us something like this...