Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Song Section Limit

Hi,

I raised this first in a different forum category because I thought it must be something I was doing wrong and needed support with. I've not had the Deluge for very long but I've come up against what I perceive to be a rather arbitrary limit on the number of song sections it allows you to create. Currently, you can only create 12 song sections, which for my purposes is very limiting. The reason sighted in the other forum thread was that once you go over 12 sections, the colours get too similar making it difficult to differentiate between them. The current colours are:

Section 1: Light Blue
Section 2: Pink
Section 3:Yellow
Section 4: Mint Green
Section 5: Red
Section 6: Snot Green
Section 7: Dark Blue
Section 8: Orange
Section 9: Dark Purple
Section 10: Brighter Green (the developer really seems to have a thing for green!)
Section 11: Slightly different Green but virtually indistinguishable from Section 10
Section 12: Brighter Purpler

I thought I'd list the current colours because, firstly, there doesn't seem to be any logical sense to the current order; Sections 10 and 11 are almost exactly the same. The main point though is actually, there is virtually an unlimited number of different possible shades and surely it doesn't matter how similar they are, as long as adjacent colours are different.

Does anyone else have a different opinion on this?

Comments

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296

It hasn't bothered me since Ive not needed more than 6 sections so far, and more often use the sub song structure for major song changes (1>1a>1b>1c ect).
    A hassle i could see, is when you wanted to change a track from one section to another. If it's not limited to 12, pressing over and over to try and match the right shade, and then testing the color by launching the section every time, could get old fast.
    But i recognize other people do it different ways, so if a setting option could enable one way or the other, and it didn't affect cpu power or load time, and changing the code was simple enough, sure make more sections with no fixed color a settings option. but overall, not an issue for myself.

martyncotteymartyncottey UKPosts: 14
    edited March 2018
    I see your point about scrolling through endless colours. However this wouldn’t be an issue because it only scrolls through the colours of the sections you’ve already created plus one new one. So if you only had 6 sections it would only scroll through 7 colours. It actually wouldn’t make any difference to those who only needed a small number of sections.

It would be great to hear the opinion of someone from Synthstrom on this.
    Post edited by martyncottey on