Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Threshold Based Sample Recording

(Sorry if this was a suggestion already, I did some searching and didn't find anything in this part of the forum.

Since the primary way to playback samples is via the kit mode, it would be nice to be able to have a mode that waits for you to exceed a set volume threshold and then it starts recording the sample. This would cut out having to adjust the start time when you are just making drum samples which would really boost the deluge workflow.

Comments

minigoatminigoat cincinnati ohio usaPosts: 296
    If you hold the record button down at the same time as you hit an audition pad it will record at that point and then you just hit record again to stop. I know thats not the same as threshold recording from external audio but gets you similar results with internal sounds and can be set up if using midi with external sounds.
    SaharTheGreatSaharTheGreat United StatesPosts: 19

Yeah, I was wanting to use a bunch of acoustic instruments sadly.

Nelson_BaboonNelson_Baboon San FranciscoBeta Tester Posts: 5

@minigoat said:
    If you hold the record button down at the same time as you hit an audition pad it will record at that point and then you just hit record again to stop. I know thats not the same as threshold recording from external audio but gets you similar results with internal sounds and can be set up if using midi with external sounds.

if you are recording from an instrument which occupies your hands, though, it doesn't work. I have an electric violin, and the inability to use a threshold to start recording drives me crazy. The octatrack doesn't have this either. It seems like an obvious addition to me.

the rec trigs on the octatrack do good job of hands-free recording...you could try setting a sustain pedal on a controller to trigger recording...it would need to be a latching pedal im guessing...ive not tried to learn a pedal to the deluge yet

Agree though, threshold recording would be useful, as would a straight audio-thru, and also a noise gate...the list could go on...but really im still only a couple weeks with the machine, so im sure i don't know all the possibilities yet...there's probably plenty of tricks to figure out. Im pretty happy with the box as-is really. The more you try adding into it, the more chance of slow-downs, lags, bugs ect.
    But thats just my unasked for 2cents at the moment (subject to change-terms apply-see rear for details)

SaharTheGreatSaharTheGreat United StatesPosts: 19

It just seems like a no brainer given that the easiest playback method of samples is the kit mode. Like, it obviously is made to excell with drum samples, why don't we have a good way of recording drum samples.

dannytaurusdannytaurus Los AngelesBeta Tester Posts: 31

+1 for this. Threshold sampling would be very useful but since we don't currently have a UI for monitoring audio input levels that would have to be added as part of the spec.

djAziddjAzid AmsterdamPosts: 199

The old sp404 (as an example) doesn't have a good ui, but it does have threshold monitoring for the input. So you don't need an ui for that.