Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Which bootloader do I have?

lobitlobit canadaPosts: 12
edited February 28 in Open Source

Im curious about which bootloader I have and if I need to worry about updating, Ive been trying out the nightly builds and its been more or less fine save a couple crashes while trying out the midi loopback stuff.

That said I'm pretty sure my unit is older and I'm wondering if I need to update the bootloader. Its a 7 seg unit

Post edited by lobit on

Comments

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioBeta Tester Posts: 128

You can check your bootloader version yourself:

Hold down the bottom-leftmost pad on your Deluge - that’s the one labelled “SAMPLE 1” and “MODE”. And while holding that pad down, switch your Deluge on. It will probably display a number on its numeric display, which is the bootloader version. Or if it doesn’t display a number and instead boots up as normal, you have bootloader version 0001 or 0002 (and these are the most risky ones!)

(via this page: https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/wiki/Bootloader-precautions-for-%22numeric%22-Deluge-developers)

For what it's worth, I had the oldest possible bootloader and was fine (you just have to make sure the firmware file you're installing isn't 0kb or over 3mb, which wouldn't happen under normal circumstances anyway), but I updated it eventually just to be sure (and it was easy to do).

Crashes like what you've described wouldn't be related to the booloader---just bugs being worked out in the nightly builds.

lobitlobit canadaPosts: 12

copy that! thats good a couple of crashes made me question everything. but yeah it was mostly the midi loopback stuff it was having a hard time with.

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioBeta Tester Posts: 128

@lobit said:
    copy that! thats good a couple of crashes made me question everything. but yeah it was mostly the midi loopback stuff it was having a hard time with.

The nightly builds are pretty bleeding-edge in some cases and are where the bugs/crashes get ironed out before features make it to a proper community release, but if you can reproduce any of the crashes you could always log the issue so the devs can take a look. Every bit of testing info is helpful!