Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Grid mode clarification

so I understand downward columns in grid mode are great for creating variations, but is there a way to at some point 'interrupt' the column and start with a new instrument on a column? like say you have 6 variations on your drum pattern with the same kit on column 1 and you maybe on the 8th row down now want to have a completely new drum instrument for a new part of the song.. is this possible? I cant imagine I would even need how ever many column spots downwards there are of variations for one kit or synth sound.

Comments

pitchblenderpitchblender Glasgow, ScotlandPosts: 28

The Deluge grid mode is inspired by the Ableton Live Session View, and each column there corresponds to each MIDI or audio track, and you can only have one VST/softsynth/external audio input per track, like on a mixing desk. Ableton Live has mixer sliders at the bottom of each column, which might help in visualising how the Deluge grid works. Changing these allocations would be like unplugging the physical cables and swapping them, or on a DAW using a virtual matrix/patchbay which are usually fixed and set up in System Settings as they rarely change once a kit/instrument is allocated to a specific track. I don't think the Deluge offers this function internally, but it would offer even more flexibility, and even more to go wrong lol.

You could colour-code individual sounds in the kit, making it more obvious what's going on. Remember you can also add synth presets to a kit too in the Community firmware, which might also be useful to you.

I just had an idea relating to the Grid Mode's pad colours - I've just tested changing each pad's colour in a single column in Grid View (Blue mode, hold pad, turn black <> or hold it and rotate for finer colour change) in fw C1.0.1 but it only changes the whole column's trigger colours. Maybe in a future update you could colour each column's trigger pads on the grid view differently (like in Ableton Live) but I've not checked out if it's on the list sorry.

Hope this helps :smile:

lobitlobit canadaPosts: 12

I suppose if you were able to shift the whole session to the right to expose new columns that would be one way to do it, I would love to be able to just insert a new series of clips below a set with a different colour/ synth sound or kit sound, so you could just work your way down the project triggering new material as you go. since each clip can be volume controlled independently pretty easily I don't think you really need volume per column.