Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Is it possible to use MIDI to sync transport control but not tempo between the Deluge and a DAW?

KnolramKnolram New York CityPosts: 6

I'm sending MIDI OUT from my DAW (Ableton) to my Deluge using a standard 5-pin MIDI cable. The transport controls in my DAW work to start/stop the Deluge, and to play back from the correct place that I'm starting playback from in the DAW. The tempo also syncs, so that whatever tempo I have set in the DAW is what plays on the Deluge.

Is it possible to configure the Deluge so that it continues using the transport data coming from the DAW, but not the tempo info? I've found that when I have audio tracks recorded on the Deluge and I start playback via my DAW, that the Deluge plays back weird glitches in the audio clips. I thought maybe this was due to time stretching since the DAW had a different tempo set from the original project tempo on the Deluge, but even if I set the tempo in my DAW to the exact same as on the Deluge the glitching still happens. Maybe the issue isn't even related to that... this is just my theory. If I reload the song and press play on the Deluge instead of the DAW everything will play back fine without any glitches in audio clip playback.

I don't need the tempo info because I'm just using Ableton to do acoustic instrument overdubs... while leaving everything else I've composed on the Deluge to playback from arrangement view.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Tagged:

Answers

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611

so the slight glitching is probably because of very minor bpm discrepancies sent to the deluge, it won't be exactly 120 for example, it might have slight fluctuations (120.1, 119.9, etc) that then trigger some minor stretching which causes those artifacts.

try turning deluge MIDI > CLOCK > INPUT > OFF. that'll stop it from receiving the DAW's clock, but i don't know if that will also turn off transport information you want from DAW.

KnolramKnolram New York CityPosts: 6

Thanks Reza, I gave it a try and unfortunately turning clock input off does stop the deluge from receiving transport, so it doesn't look like this is a viable solution. I can confirm however that the slight fluctuations you mentioned do occur, at least when sending MIDI in the opposite direction from Deluge >> Ableton.

I ended up just manually hitting play in Ableton and the Deluge at the same time, which works fine.