Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

New Clip creation issue under Community Firmware

Hey - weird issue:

When first updating to the new FW, I was able to create new clips anywhere on the grid. Over the weekend, I seemed to be only able to create new clips in any row under an existing column, or in the next column to the right... but I cannot create a new clip in any row or column further over to the right.

I have experimented with the new settings but I cannot see any setting that relates to this - nor can I undo the behaviour by changing any setting (I have probably tested all of them), by reflashing 1.0.0, by updating to the most recent Nightly Build, or by recreating the community settings XML file.

I have not been able to do a Factory Reset (holding the Select know while powering on) - this has no effect and the machine boots normally... is this expected? All pads and buttons work perfectly (by regular observation and by using the 'test mode').

Any ideas? It feels like it's a setting somewhere but I don't know what or how I've triggered it.

Thanks!

OLED Deluge (updated from 7SEG), Community FX 1.0.0

Comments

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611

this is intended behavior at the moment. maybe at one point while grid mode was in development (via a nightly) you could create clips in their own location outside of adjacent columns, but there's no support for shifting clip positions atm. everything has to be column adjacent, rows can have gaps though.

you can copy a clip to the next, empty, adjacent column on any row (press and hold one clip, press any empty row at the next empty adjacent column), otherwise you have to press the first row of a new column to create an instrument there.

SimonSaysSimonSays UKPosts: 2

Ah, OK. I could have sworn I was placing clips anywhere but it could have been false memory from watching Ron Cavagnaro’s videos (he’s definitely free-placing them!).

Feature request? 😬

Thanks for the support… and the amazing firmware development.

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611

@SimonSays ah i see where you mean with his videos, but in fact, there are already columns present between those gaps, its just that the clips for the gaps are below the visible area (you have to scroll to reveal them) which makes it look like he's creating clips on their own 'island'.

from what i remember, once rearranging pads is addressed in the future, the feature you want may be possible. i believe i requested the same thing at one point.

lobitlobit canadaPosts: 12

I experienced the same thing, I could plonk them down where ever at first and then it somehow stopped doing it

seangoodvibesseangoodvibes Beta Tester Posts: 49

@lobit said:
    I experienced the same thing, I could plonk them down where ever at first and then it somehow stopped doing it

You were definitely never able to place them anywhere you want. The code never allowed for it. The developer of the feature even confirmed it.

Ron's video's make it look like that because he cut out of the part of the video that showed him placing a clip in the column adjacent to where he is placing the new clip.

He also scrolled down vertically which makes it look like the adjacent column is empty, but it's really not.

The feature has only ever allowed you to enter new clips in an existing column or directly to the right of the most right column created.