Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Can the Deluge be set to differentiate outgoing MIDI to different MIDI networks in the future?

Phoebus1966Phoebus1966 AntwerpPosts: 52

As it is now and if I am correct there are only 16 channels (plus MPE lower and MPE upper) possible in Deluge's MIDI clip to which all (multitimbral) synths will repond whether they are connected via USB (passing a USB hub) or connected via the Deluge's MIDI ports.

Under Differentiating MIDI Input Devices in the manual on page 237 it says: 'Deluge can be set to differentiate between the incoming MIDI from different devices.'

Can the Deluge also be set to differentiate outgoing MIDI to different MIDI networks in the future?

What I mean by a MIDI network is the following. The Deluge MIDI ports represent one MIDI network having 16 channels available to which multiple (multitimbral) synths or drummachines can be connected. Each USB line to the Deluge connecting a (multitimbral) synth or drummachine represents one MIDI network having 16 channels available.

The manual says the Deluge is able to handle a maximum of 4 USB lines (via a powered USB hub). With the Deluge's MIDI ports this makes 5 MIDI networks. My suggestion includes that the Deluge would be able to differentiate these 5 MIDI networks in MIDI clip MIDI channel setting. The MIDI channel would not only range from 1 to 16 (plus MPE lower and MPE upper); the display would also show the device name to which the MIDI messages are sent.

In case a device is not anymore available (detached) the Deluge would show 'device unavailable' next to the intended device name. The software should be able to discover the intended device when it is reconnected in the same way as the Deluge already handles USB input devices.

Post edited by Phoebus1966 on

Comments

nabendnabend Posts: 13

i agree, and just want to point out that the common term would be "port" instead o "network". so, each DIN-connector represents a port and iirc USB over MIDI typically offers 16 independent ports.

Phoebus1966Phoebus1966 AntwerpPosts: 52

@nabend said:
    i agree, and just want to point out that the common term would be "port" instead o "network". so, each DIN-connector represents a port and iirc USB over MIDI typically offers 16 independent ports.

I used 'MIDI port' for the MIDI connection because the official manual uses 'MIDI port' for the MIDI connection also.

nabendnabend Posts: 13

when i power on the Deluge, an attached MIDI monitor tells that the message 0f 00 0e 0f 00 00 is received regularly. that seems not to be the clock according to a poor research, i'm too tired.