Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Sample scrubbing

I sold Deluge almost a year ago and now I’m wanting another sampler/arranger and I’m hoping the new Open Source community here can get me to not try an Octatrack. Main reasons that Octatrack is on my list:
1. Sample scrubbing/granulating via retrigger at high rates / short lengths and “scrubbing” with the fader
2. Effects: sample rate reduction and other effects transition smoothly between parameter values - i always disliked the stepped sound of the deluge srr.
3. Mixer/Effect sends: I’m curious if the Deluge headphone output can be sent to external effects pedals and put back into the input.
4. Input monitoring: when i was sampling live with Deluge’s audio input, i would only learn that the sample clipped when I played it back. So frustrating!

I have plans to learn coding myself and want to try implementing my own ideas at some point, but I’m hoping someone can achieve these updates before I get another Deluge. I’m also not aware of the full user updates at this point so hopefully some of these are already implemented.

Comments

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611

1) modulating sample position will be hard to implement due to the nature of SD card-based sample streaming. not impossible, but difficult.
    2) parameters have always been able to be adjusted via gold knobs which have the normal 127 points of resolution, that resolution is more than halved when using the select knob (0-50 values). there could be NRPN support in the future but no active development
    3) nope, only one output shared between audio out and headphone out. hardware limitation
    4) talks of having recording get triggered with audio passing a certain threshold. not talks about clipping input notifications, but possible to implement.

Thank you for this! It’s frustrating that there’s no option for effects sends.. it makes using my pedals with Deluge basically impossible. BUT..
    As for sample scrubbing, I want to be able to pull up a sample in waveform view and freeze it in play via retrigger and have that continuously recording/resampling. I’m thinking you can use the < > knob to scrub, and the two gold knobs to change the length and rate of the retrigger, again all while being resampled. I really want this feature as it would be a really powerful sound design tool apart from the synth engines.
    Also, what about exponential rhythms? It would be an automatic retrigger modulating the rate outside of the grid, so short snippets of audio would be retriggered in a speeding-up / slowing-down “bouncing ball” kind of sound.

Here are some examples of the effects that I’m describing.

Sample scrubbing/granulating

Exponential rhythms

I’ve decided that if Deluge were to implement the sample scrubbing/retrigger feature shown in the Octatrack video that I linked above, I will get Deluge. That feature is the only reason I would absolutely get Octatrack over Deluge, but I much prefer the workflow of Deluge and the user firmware updates is really promising.