Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Simple Skip Note

bnhrschbnhrsch GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 7

Right now you can set note iteration dependencies to play for example every 4th bar (or give it a probability of X %). To do that simply hold the pad and turn the select encoder right. It goes up to 8/8bars (so the note would only play in the 8th bar).

It would be really nice if we could add the option to Skip a note every X bars!

This is a simple way to create more interesting compositions without having to change the lengths of the loop. For example have one note play every bar except the 4ths but have another note play instead. It is also a feature commonly found in other Sequencers and it's incredibly useful and versatile. It would not need a special menu or shortcut. Simply add the options to the existing menu just after the 8/8 of the regular dependencies.

Comments

duncandisorderlyduncandisorderly london/madridPosts: 19
    edited September 2023

as a long-time user of various h/w analogue sequencers (notron, P3, cirklon, dark-time etcetera) I'm a big fan of 'playing' the skip switches, as once one would've done on a moog 960 sequential voltage generator.

but the way I use it would almost need a special mode enabling, rather than multiple key-presses. I don't know how this could be enabled on the deluge UI currently without breaking something else.
    you don't want the skipped step(s) to disappear from the grid & everything else move left, because you might want to put the skipped notes back again.... that's exactly what I do on the P3.

perhaps this approach would be too radical for some, but there are a number of things I want to do during playback on the deluge that seem to be calling out for this- surrender one row of the grid (so you're not seeing twelve notes any more, just eleven) & use the whole row to select steps for an edit function that affects all of the notes** on (or near) that step.
    we'd have to think of an unused switch combo to get the row into this edit mode, but once there you'd be able to switch between
    "loop back to the start from here",
    "stop",
    "skip",
    "switch to next section"
    or perhaps even invoking some other modification, like the accumulators in the P3/cirklon..... "move up/down the velocity/pitch/whatever by xx amount each time this step is played" kind of thing.

Post edited by duncandisorderly on
    seangoodvibesseangoodvibes Beta Tester Posts: 49
    edited September 2023

We have the ability now in the community build to quickly designate notes on the grid as “fill notes” and at the press of a button you can activate those notes.

I think this is a step in the direction of what you’re looking for.

Post edited by seangoodvibes on