Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Automation View Mode

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611
edited August 2023 in Open Source

Merged with Community Firmware!

This feature's implementation started with @seangoodvibes
Main GitHub DocumentationGitHub Pull Request Info

Automation View Mode
Automation Instrument Clip View is a new view that complements the existing Instrument Clip View (which is accessed by pressing the Clip Button). It allows you to edit automatable parameters on a per step basis at any zoom level.

Discuss this feature, provide video/audio examples, etc.

Post edited by reza on

Comments

PhilPhil MontréalBeta Tester Posts: 105
    edited August 2023

Some cool features that come to mind seeing this:

• per automation lane length.
    • Automation linked/stored to/in note row and is muted/unmuted with note (store automation on empty row), with a led feedback indication on audition row.
    • Fine tune of automation step with gold knob for resolution higher than 8 levels.
    • Interpolation drawing between 2 held pad.
    Post edited by Phil on
    seangoodvibesseangoodvibes Beta Tester Posts: 49
    edited August 2023

@Phil said:
    Some cool features that come to mind seeing this:

• per automation lane length.
    • Automation linked/stored to/in note row and is muted/unmuted with note (store automation on empty row), with a led feedback indication on audition row.
    • Fine tune of automation step with gold knob for resolution higher than 8 levels.
    • Interpolation drawing between 2 held pad.

Thanks for the good suggestions!

The last two are already in there :)

The first two are not in line with how the deluge was designed with respect to automation so it is not possible at the moment without a major restructuring effort. But will keep them in mind!

Post edited by seangoodvibes on
    volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418

wow

🅽🅾🆅🅸🅲🅴 🅳🅴🅻🆄🅶🅸🅾🅽🅸🆂🆃?

bnhrschbnhrsch GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 7
    edited August 2023

Thanks @seangoodvibes for this amazing feature! This is huge, you did an awesome job!

I wonder if it would be possible that the automation and the notes could have different clip lengths. What I mean by that is when you are in Automation-View, press shift and turn the left/right encoder the clip lengths changes for both, the automation and the notes. It would be awesome to have the community option to change that behavior so the notes and automation could have independent clip lengths. That way you could create very interesting syncopation for example for Ambient, Techno or procedural generated music.

Edit: I just found out you can actually already do this with a little workaround. You can simply change the row lengths of the notes. So the actual Clip-Lengths (and therefore the Automation) is still unchanged, but the rows of the Notes have a different lengths, creating syncopation.

Edit:2 Individual clip lengths for every automation would be incredible. This way you could have for example an automation of the LPF with a lengths of 3/4 and the automation for the Arp-Rate at 5/4. This would mean we could create syncopated automation lanes even on Midi Channels. But I can imagine that his might be incredibly difficult if not impossible to implement and quite performance heavy. Also you can kinda do that via the two LFOs. It just not as intuitive and clearly laid out.

Post edited by bnhrsch on
    edited August 2023

@bnhrsch said:
    Thanks @seangoodvibes for this amazing feature! This is huge, you did an awesome job!

I wonder if it would be possible that the automation and the notes could have different clip lengths. What I mean by that is when you are in Automation-View, press shift and turn the left/right encoder the clip lengths changes for both, the automation and the notes. It would be awesome to have the community option to change that behavior so the notes and automation could have independent clip lengths. That way you could create very interesting syncopation for example for Ambient, Techno or procedural generated music.

Edit: I just found out you can actually already do this with a little workaround. You can simply change the row lengths of the notes. So the actual Clip-Lengths (and therefore the Automation) is still unchanged, but the rows of the Notes have a different lengths, creating syncopation.

Edit:2 Individual clip lengths for every automation would be incredible. This way you could have for example an automation of the LPF with a lengths of 3/4 and the automation for the Arp-Rate at 5/4. This would mean we could create syncopated automation lanes even on Midi Channels. But I can imagine that his might be incredibly difficult if not impossible to implement and quite performance heavy. Also you can kinda do that via the two LFOs. It just not as intuitive and clearly laid out.

Thanks for the love :)

Great suggestion. This request has definitely come a few times to separate automation length.

I’m glad you found the current work around.

Right now the work around is the only way as the sequence length is tied to the entire clip or the row length.

I think this could be a sweet improvement in the future, but as you said it might be very difficult to do so. I haven’t explored this yet so I can’t conclude whether or not it is possible.

I’ve left it on the future release list so I don’t forget it :).

normalmusicnormalmusic VancouverBeta Tester Posts: 5

This is an awesome feature and I wanted to ask how it may be used with CV1 and CV2 outputs. It seems it's not working right now on CV instruments, but I'm hoping to use it to just control CV parameters, for example paint-in CV voltage rise and drop.

edited October 2023

@normalmusic said:
    This is an awesome feature and I wanted to ask how it may be used with CV1 and CV2 outputs. It seems it's not working right now on CV instruments, but I'm hoping to use it to just control CV parameters, for example paint-in CV voltage rise and drop.

I didn’t implement it for CV because CV is not currently automatable on the deluge as far as I am aware (eg you can’t use the mod (gold) encoders and record voltage changes can you?)

I don’t think the concept of CV parameters exists on the deluge

normalmusicnormalmusic VancouverBeta Tester Posts: 5

I think you're right - I was imagining that your feature would let me do something I can't do right now. CV1 and CV2 seem to be strictly for note values, not modulation (unless someone knows something different).

ampplifyampplify IndianapolisPosts: 2

@reza is this usable on midi CC values? That would be amazing.
    Should be doable right? Since you can program CC value changes via effect shortcuts and gold knobs?

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611
    edited December 2023

@ampplify yes this is currently possible. make a midi clip and hit clip to enter automation view. you can scroll via SELECT to go to different CCs. i believe these automations are not interpolated and may be steppy based on the zoom level you enter them. it's a current limitation that is being investigated

edit: by the way @seangoodvibes is the person behind this feature!

Post edited by reza on
    ampplifyampplify IndianapolisPosts: 2

@reza said:
    @ampplify yes this is currently possible. make a midi clip and hit clip to enter automation view. you can scroll via SELECT to go to different CCs. i believe these automations are not interpolated and may be steppy based on the zoom level you enter them. it's a current limitation that is being investigated

Oh man, that is so awesome! Amazing work thank you so much!