Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Deluge and MIDI connectivity tricks

gnozognozo FrancePosts: 16

Hi [major edit]
At first, I didn't understand why my Deluge didn't print MIDI on boot when connected to external gear, which worried me but it turned out fine. I got this idea from this youtube video from SynthDad :

I was trying to hook up Deluge and Minilab 3, and I was lucky enough to get some very practical and relevant responses. Somehow, I double posted this on the forum, and as @Bay_Mud pointed out after giving me a solid answer, this isn't doing much good.
On top of using the Learn function with the pads to hook up with keyboard, @dzaxy pointed out that "for the other parameters use the shift funktions to access them and hold midi learn and move fader of knob on minilab". This quickly became intuitive.

I decided to rename this thread, say a bit more about what I was trying to achieve, share the solutions I came up with, hoping it could be useful to others in the future.

My immediate goal was just to control synths and samples from the Minilab. This became something of a puzzle because I was already using the USB output to control animated sequences on a laptop using Fragmenter Animated Loop Machine. The way this software works is mind-bending, and I've been using it with Deluge for years while beta testing it - Deluge is clearly the dream solution to use many of its features.

So while the Minilab worked, it needed to be powered via USB ; even if I could theoretically send MIDI from Minilab to Deluge via DIN, I still needed to power it and to hook it up directly to the Deluge, because my laptop (running on Linux) was to be simply dedicated to the animation.

It seemed that I was not going to be able to use Fragmenter. I tried a USB hub to no avail (probably the wrong type, or something wrong with the power). I remembered I bought a Prodipe MIDI to USB cable years ago, which I'd never used. So I tried it !

Everything worked fine : the Minilab controls the Deluge via USB, and the Deluge controls Fragmenter via MIDI. I'm so happy that it's working, here are two pics I shared with the Fragmenter programmer (cable connections are not all visible, but you get the idea ^^).

Cheers, have fun

Post edited by gnozo on
Tagged:

Best Answers

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioPosts: 128
    Answer ✓

@gnozo said:
    Hi
    I wanted to control some synths and parameters from Deluge from an external interface. I got the Minilab 3 because it's great.
    Now, when powering on my Deluge (5V power in, yellow light on ; USB A to USB type B adaptor ; MIDI or DIN MIDI cable) it doesn't auto detect Minilab 3 as MIDI controller. Nothing seems to be going on between the two machines.

Have you succeeded hooking up Deluge and Minilab 3 ? I'd be glad to get any tips on how to get this to work !

Cheers, have fun

I don't have a Minilab, but do use my Deluge with all kinds of MIDI devices.

To clarify, how do you have them connected (you've listed both USB and Din MIDI)? Also what do you mean by "5v power in"? The Deluge runs off 9-12V power (but if you're using Din MIDI it won't matter, as long as the Deluge is charged).

In any case, if you connect them via Din MIDI for example, you won't get immediate feedback that anything has happened. You still have to "Learn" controls you want the Minilab to handle. For example, on a synth track, press learn and on of the audio pads then play the keys on the Minilab and the pads should flash, indicating they can be controlled by the Minilab. Similar approach for parameters you'd like the knobs/faders to control.

Take a look at section 12.3 in the manual.

Bay_MudBay_Mud OntarioPosts: 128
    Answer ✓

I see you have a second thread about this and might have it working now, so feel free to disregard the above, but I'd suggest only one thread next time

Answers

gnozognozo FrancePosts: 16

@Bay_Mud said:
    I see you have a second thread about this and might have it working now, so feel free to disregard the above, but I'd suggest only one thread next time

Hi,
    Thanks a million for your answer. I was so busy preparing an important show that I don't even remember double posting, and you're right, it sucks. So I edited the post title and updated the content, hope this can be constructive for others :)
    You are also right about the 5v. I'd always been using USB and assumed the voltage was the same as on... a smartphone. I'm now powering it with 9v, and it works much better. Wit the current setup, I could learn and save, which suddenly allowed me to have a lot of control on my Deluge projects using one external MIDI controller, and that's a game changer !