Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

Note randomization (destructive and non-destructive)

luis_costaluis_costa PortugalBeta Tester Posts: 28

One of the things I've missed the most on the Deluge - which led me to buy different pieces of gear just for that purpose - is the lack of randomization options for coming up with interesting sequences that I wouldn't have thought of otherwise.

I think the Deluge could take inspiration in this area from some other brands, specifically from the Novation Launchkey mk3 keyboards and from the Oxi One sequencer. Here's what I'm thinking:

- Non-destructive randomization: Novation Launchkey's Mutate & Deviate arp functions really shines in this department. The way that it works is you turn on the Arp, play a chord, and then by increasing the Mutate knob it starts adding different notes in the scale (first octaves, then fifhts, then other intervals), and the Deviate knob will begin to introduce different rhytmic patterns. On the Deluge, it could work either as additional arp modes just like on the Novation, but probably better would be to add these variations to a pre-existing sequence. For example the custom 2 knob could be used for adding melodic variations, and the custom 3 for rhythmic variations. The original sequence would remain unchanged, the knobs would just add or remove those variations.

- Destructive randomization: The Oxi One has a brilliant randomization feature for generating sequences from scratch. You have a set of parameters for fine tuning how the randomization will be created (range, density, variation, etc), and then when you push a button a new sequence will be created from scratch within the selected parameters. This one sounds harder to implement on the Deluge, but maybe it's possible, I don't know.

What do you think? would anyone else be interested in this type of features or is it just me?

Comments

n3ptun3sn3ptun3s GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 10

More midi randomization would be great.
    Octave, Velocity, Note length etc... infinte possibilies.

@n3ptun3s said:
    More midi randomization would be great.
    Octave, Velocity, Note length etc... infinte possibilies.

The synthstrom sequencer is one of the best in the market but it's sorely lacking in this area. I hope more users will ask for this feature, enough to convince developers to work on it! :)

milkformycoconutmilkformycoconut GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 31
    edited August 2023

+1
    this is great example of note randomization mentioned by OP
    2.35 minute

Post edited by milkformycoconut on
    milkformycoconutmilkformycoconut GermanyBeta Tester Posts: 31

i'll also add OXI Chord/Arp Mode implementation that looks very interesting and maybe worth looking into since i saw it's on Deluge Open Source Development process under Being Explored category

chrisrolandchrisroland United StatesPosts: 41

yes, Hapax allows for placement of chords on the step grid (either from Chord mode or just entering with an external keyboard). would speed up the workflow exponentially

jesiahjesiah United StatesPosts: 8

Would love to see more of this.

OP-Z has a per-step "step component" which can have Random applied, on a scale of 1-10 of how random (and how far up or down the the scale from the original note). Also has this with Arp modes, which combines with Random nicely. There is also a per step Random on/off for the note trig, which is useful and different than the probability, which I'm grateful Deluge has.

Does anyone know if this is being considered at all for future developments?

rezareza los angelesModerator, Beta Tester Posts: 611
    edited November 2023

@luis_costa everything and anything is being considered for future community firmware development.

the more thorough and specific a proposal is the more likely people will engage in discussing it further and possibly beginning to implement it (how it should be implemented, where the shortcuts should go, how many options there will be, what button combos are used, etc).

i feel that the most receptive place to discuss development for community firmware atm is on the discord (create a thread in the #feature-forum channel, or make a discussion in the GitHub page: https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/discussions

Post edited by reza on

@reza said:
    @luis_costa everything and anything is being considered for future community firmware development.

the more thorough and specific a proposal is the more likely people will engage in discussing it further and possibly beginning to implement it (how it should be implemented, where the shortcuts should go, how many options there will be, what button combos are used, etc).

i feel that the most receptive place to discuss development for community firmware atm is on the discord (create a thread in the #feature-forum channel, or make a discussion in the GitHub page: https://github.com/SynthstromAudible/DelugeFirmware/discussions

Thanks! I thought this forum was the main place for these suggestions, but I'll try on those platforms. :smile: