β€Ί
Please familiarise yourself with the forum, including policy on feature requests, rules & guidelines

How to edit synth patches after creation?

Rob_PsychonauticaRob_Psychonautica SwitzerlandPosts: 2

I have recently bought a Deluge (OLED screen) after a 25 year hiatus from making bleeps and bloops, so apologies if this is a dumb question, but it feels like something weird is going on with how synth patches are being stored.

I make a new synth patch, tweak the oscillators and envelopes a bit, save it and give it a name (TEST 1).
I then make a song to use my new sound, and save that song (TEST SONG) - so far so good.

I then decide I want to change my synth sound, so I open my song, select the synth and go into the edit settings to make some additional tweaks. When I'm done, still within the synth settings, I hit save and I get a prompt asking me if I want to overwrite the patch and showing the name of the patch (TEST 1) so I can be sure it is the right one, which it is.

I play the song and my synth changes can be heard, so it sounds like it is working as expected, but when I reload the song (either because I have turned off the unit or switched to a different song, then all the changes to the synth are gone.

If I redo the changes to the synth and then save the song, THEN the synth changes will be saved within the song, but the preset itself will still be as it was. Is this the expected behaviour or am I just doing something wrong?

I simply want to edit my synth so that any song which uses it would use the updated synth.

Thanks

Comments

volstehvolsteh CroatiaPosts: 418
    edited July 2023

yes, patches are saved with the song, to update in all songs you save the patch with a new name and change it per song. It makes sense if you think of it, for example when sharing a song file etc.

Post edited by volsteh on

πŸ…½πŸ…ΎπŸ†…πŸ…ΈπŸ…²πŸ…΄ πŸ…³πŸ…΄πŸ…»πŸ†„πŸ…ΆπŸ…ΈπŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…ΈπŸ†‚πŸ†ƒ?

Rob_PsychonauticaRob_Psychonautica SwitzerlandPosts: 2
    edited July 2023

@volsteh said:
    yes, patches are saved with the song, to update in all songs you save the patch with a new name and change it per song. It makes sense if you think of it, for example when sharing a song file etc.

OK, I can see the logic there in regard to song files.

It begs the question though - when editing a synth patch then why does it even give you an option to save it and overwrite the initial patch? It doesn’t do anything but it looks like it is, its very confusing.

Post edited by Rob_Psychonautica on